360s Console Freezing / Black Screen

I have had my 360s for about three weeks now. I had no issues up until about three days ago. Now, whenever I am using the console, it will lock up after a period of time. It does not always happen, can happen after several hours, but can also happen after 10 minutes of the thing being on. When it locks up it either freezes with the screen on and some graphical corruption, or the screen goes black.

This has happened during the following:
1. Playing Black Ops online
2. Playing Gears of War 2 offline
3. Installing Red Dead Redemption to the HDD
4. Viewing downloads from the Live Dashboard

It does not seem restricted to a certain activity and the console still has the green light with 1/4 ring for my active controller.

I have tried the following:
1. Clearing the HDD cache
2. Reformatting the HDD
3. Moving the 360s out of our entertainment center (which is open front and back) onto the hardwood floor with nothing near it.
4. Installing all games to HDD and running them from there
5. Unplugging Kinect 

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this thing just work? I just moved from a PS3 after the big Sony issue, but the XBOX has been very troublesome so far.

-DSH210 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 30 Applies to:

Here is a post about freezing issues OP. There is another link in the post which will take you to another page with more suggestions to try.
Its possible you may have tried all the steps listed within it though, but its all I could find.

Also when the console freezes do you get any error messages and does the light on the front of the console turn red?.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the link, but I already checked that out.

I get no warning-message or warning light. Sometimes when it freezes, it freezes a random color (such as skin-tone or grey).

My fear is that I will have to send it in for repair and be without an xbox for a month.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem, such as the Black Ops freezing after a certain amount of ingame time. Do all your games freeze? Some of my games freeze at startup, and others gave graphical glitches, while others freeze after entering gameplay. Whats really weird is that FIFA 10 freezes at startup, but FIFA 11 doesn't freeze at all.

Sorry this didn't help.

It was happening across the board for me, even when just viewing the dashboard or downloading content. I just boxed up my system to send off to MS. I decided I didn't want to waste any more time with it freezing so I will just have them service it (even though that means I am without it for 2 weeks or so).

Sorry this didn't help.