360 will not recognize proper format/transfered data

I recently upgraded from a 360 elite to slim. To transfer my data, I used a Western Digital 320gig portable HD. I formatted the drive and transfered all my data. Before I had a chance to transfer the data to my new slim, I needed to use the hard drive for other purposes. I therefore copied all my files to my pc, re-formatted the drive to ntfs and went on my merry way. Now that I am ready to transfer the data to my slim, I cannot. I have reformatted the drive to the appropriate format (via my 360) and transfered the files from my pc (back to my portable hd). However, when I plug my usb drive into my 360, it is no longer formatted properly and I am asked to reformat. I would swear that I've done this exact same thing for a buddy of mine and didn't have this issue. What am I doing wrong? Should this work? I've tried copying the xbox 360 folder to the drive, as well as just copying the files contained in the folder. When I plug the drive into my 360, I am always asked to format the drive (even though it is properly formatted). Any help would be appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 44 Applies to:

Just found the answer!! Had to copy all the files starting with DATA0001 onward (not DATA0002). Thanks IceStormIII for the suggestion, atleast it put me on the right path!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tried this. All my saved info now appears when I hook up the hd to my 360 but absolutely everything appears as corrupted (profiles, saves, dlc) and I can't use or transfer anything. Any way to fix that? Thats for the help btw :)

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Sparrow69"] I therefore copied all my files to my pc,[/quote]

You can't do this. Those files are hidden for a reason. Moving them renders them inoperable in most cases.

One "fix" that is reported to work is to create a new USB MU, then copy the old DATA002 files onward overtop of the ones created on the new MU.

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately doesn't work. The problem definitely lies with copying the files from my pc to the external disk. I've tried 2 different ext. hd and 2 different xboxs and same problem, I cannot get the 360 to recognize my saved files when I copy them from my pc to the xbox formatted usb key/external hard disk. I've formatted the drives to fat 32 through my 360 and also with my pc and still have the same issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

remove the files from the hdd, reformat the hdd to FAT32 and put the files back on it, the 360 can only see that filesystem if used as a Memory Unit

Sorry this didn't help.

I think you may be out of luck. You should of just formatted the HD put the xbox files on there and moved it to the new xbox.  To stop modders the xbox wont pick up files that weren't put on there by an xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.