360 to ONE - Gold Membership transfer

Just bought a system.  The 360 was a 1 yr membership under my son.  Now both he and I are on the ONE - logged in and everything appears fine, gamertag wise.  However, under his account membership is GOLD (1 yr) and under my account it says "why not get Gold?"

I followed the HOME machine link - by default it is set to my default.

He was able to download prior marked GWG games - I go to the GOLD section and it says I should get Gold membership and here is what you will get.

My understanding and what I am reading is ... on the XB1, One membership = everyone is gold.  I care less about what my subscription says ... and more about Games with Gold not saying I have a Live membership,.  We don't have any games yet (getting them) and I wonder when we do if my account won't be able to play multi-player.

THanks

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 50 Applies to:

Hello,

Thanks for the support message.

If your silver account is set to the Home Xbox, the gold membership will need to be on YOUR account instead of his and he would share the gold subscription from your account, or you can have him set the home Xbox on his account instead.  Keep in mind that you can only switch the home Xbox 3 times/year.

For more info, see: Xbox Live Gold Sharing Features on Xbox One

Cheers!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

1. So right now since he had the Gold under his name on the XBOX 360, he should continue that way and for HIS account set the box to be "Make this my home Xbox".  He then is the "master".

2. For me as Silver, to use HIS gold on the console and mark as "This is not my home Xbox" under my profile.

Correct?  If so - then does this imply that ONLY HE can has access to download Games with Gold?  

(Or is my current GWG problem merely due to the incorrect setting per the above?)  

3. And this stays "as is" forever, or at least until the XBOX 360 goes away - from my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) but he can still use the XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE - not at the same time - with a single XBOX LIVE account?  Me, I would be able to play multi-player on XBOX ONE and continue to only be able to play non-multi-player on the XBOX 360.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Good day!

Q: 1. So right now since he had the Gold under his name on the XBOX 360, he should continue that way and for HIS account set the box to be "Make this my home Xbox".  He then is the "master".
A: Gold sharing is not available on the 360, but if you meant the Xbox One, you will need to go ahead and have him make the console his Home Xbox on his account.

Q: 2. For me as Silver, to use HIS gold on the console and mark as "This is not my home Xbox" under my profile.
Correct?  If so - then does this imply that ONLY HE can has access to download Games with Gold?  
A: Nope, you don't have to make any changes on your profile.  A console can only be ONE persons home Xbox console at a time so once he makes the console his home Xbox, it will automatically remove it from your profile.

Q: 3. And this stays "as is" forever, or at least until the XBOX 360 goes away - from my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) but he can still use the XBOX 360 and XBOX ONE - not at the same time - with a single XBOX LIVE account?  Me, I would be able to play multi-player on XBOX ONE and continue to only be able to play non-multi-player on the XBOX 360.
A:You can play your Xbox 360 and Xbox One under the same Microsoft account at the same.  You can not play two Xbox One's or two 360's under the same Microsoft account though however.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

(For some reason I cannot "quote" the last poster).

Q1 - My son was already setup under his profile as "MY HOME XBOX".  I checked that first.  

Q2 - Not true.  I already set this as "MY HOME" and it said that under my profile , as per my son when I verified.  I was able to mark as "NOT MY HOME XBOX" and by doing so it warned me.  Fine.  After I checked and his was "MY HOME" and I was "NOT MY HOME" (or whatever the exact wording is).  However, FACT - both WERE "MY HOME" until I switched mine off.  

Now for a test I tried the Tomb Raider Definitive and was able to successfully play multiplayer - assuming that I require GOLD to do that, it means I am using my son's GOLD and all is working in this respect.  Which was a primary concern.

However, one of my original questions was - can I download a GWG game?  The answer is NO.  MSFT is sloppy (maybe).  The "system" knows there is a Gold member, and "knows" I am under that Gold member, and "knows" I can play multiplayer games, but for some reason ...

1. They want me to buy a membership - under my profile I look under subscriptions and it then takes me to buy one.  I consider that scammy actually - why wouldn't they say "oh you already are under XYZ who has Gold".  MSFT changed the rules so the entire console requires only ONE Gold membership - NO?  Beyond using an existing XBOX 360, what reason is there for more than one person to have GOLD?  (unless I am missing some feature)
  2. When I go to the GWG tile, and click on a game we already have - it shows "PLAY" then below that "FREE WITH GOLD".  I click the latter, and voila - again the virtues of having GOLD are shown.  Yet I don't need it - unless I guess I wanted to download.  Which answers my question - the single person with GOLD is the only one able to download the GWG games.  
  3. Then there is a giant tile with a GOLD controller telling me to buy GOLD.  That is UTTER CRAP!  Either MSFT is trying to trick people or, again, they are sloppy. Why are they showing that tile?

At any rate - it is what it is and so long as the console appears to be functioning correctly with the multi-player option system wide, I am satisfied and thank you to both of you for helping me.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

Couldn't edit the post in time but the last Q3 question - I was aware of the one of each console bit but what I was saying was that on the XBOX 360, as it uses the older rule that EACH user must have their own GOLD membership, my son can go to that machine and play multiplayer ... while I cannot since he is the GOLD member on that one.  I assume that just because we have an XB1, doesn't mean that I get access to the XBOX 360 to play multiplayer.

Soon the Halo/Gears of War games will migrate to the XB1 - eliminating a huge reason to use the 360 but sadly though the CoD games (BlackOps/BlackOps2) won't - and of course they will never be backcompat games unless there is a miracle of miracles.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

If the console will not let you download free games with gold on your account, your son can download it, and you can still play it though on your account, anyone on that console that signs in can play a game that your son has either purchased, or downloaded for free with the games with gold feature.

Your account is still going to show "Upgrade to Gold Today!" ads because you're still technically a silver member and the system only sees that you have no membership.  It doesn't see that you are sharing the gold features with your son or any other accounts on the Xbox One.  There for, Microsoft isn't trying to scam you by giving you reasons to get gold on your console.  

Should you have any other concerns, feel free to post back.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.