360 Slim, unable to update (tried the usual stuff)

I'm looking at a used 360 slim that cannot apply an update.  I am prompted to update when I turn it on, and after following the prompts it returns with error code xxxx-43c5-xxxx-xxxx-000e. 

While it seems to be a problem relating to communication with xBox Live, I have also tried updating with the USB and CD methods while not connected via wired/wireless network.  Neither alternative methods have worked, as I am not prompted to update after I reboot.

I've confirmed that the USB is Fat32 with the $SystemUpdate folder as the root.

I have cleared the memory cache and also formatted the memory unit.

No idea what else I can try. Maybe get a hard drive for this and try again?  What's weird is USB and CD's are not autoplaying, even after selecting those options.  I can see the USB in the device list, and it is detecting the overall capacity of the thumb drive.  It doesn't need external power or anything like that.

Thanks for any insights!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Hello MarbleGobller, if you are able to decline the update and enter to the dashboard go to settings, storage and make the next combination on your hard drive or memory unit: LB + RB + X(in two times) you must see a message that you will delete any console update saved. After that you should be able to download the update connecting your console to Xbox Live or using the update file through your USB.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Try network statistics. Does it show download/upload? If it does, then your console is may be banned. In any case, can you post the full error code? The last group of xxxs before your 000e is what I'm interested in. I'm guessing it's C00E or something similar?Try this--

1.    Press the Guide button on your controller.

2.    Go to Settings and select System Settings.

3.    Select Storage.

4.    Enter the following button sequence: LB, RB, X, LB, RB, X.

5.    Select the option to roll back all system updates that are installed. The console will restart automatically and then download the updates again.

This will roll back your system updates, allowing any potentially corrupted patches to be removed, and then you can download a fresh copy :)

If your USB stick doesn't work, remove your HDD and then put your USB stick in. Then if you get the prompt, before hitting yes, put your HDD back in. Never remove your HDD when the console is on. While SATA is hot-swappable, its power source generally isn't, just remember.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks all,

The code is 42FE - 43C5 - 1780 - 0700 - C000 .

I can connect to the internet with the xbox, but cannot connect to xbox live without updating ( XBL is forcing me to successfully update before I can connect)

While the LB, RB, X, LB, RB, X finished without error, unfortunately it didn't fix the issue for me.

This unit is a 4GB console and doesn't have the removable hard drive, is there a way I can force it to boot-read from usb any other way? It's really strange. When the unit is on it can see the usb is there, and the xbox can even format it it - but it won't read from it at boot time.  Tried multiple usb sticks in multiple ports.

The same is true for the CD - it won't boot from it.  It's as though I haven't formatted the CD/USB correctly or copied over the right folder structure - but I'm pretty sure I did.

Thanks again for any help!

Sorry this didn't help.