360 slim -- stuck on loading screen

I've had my 360 slim for awhile now, and I must say I like it a lot. It looks nicer, it's quieter (aside from Mass Effect 3 disc 2, which--even though installed to hard drive--will run the dvd drive really loud for 2-5 mins, then be whisper quiet from then on out), etc. etc.

But, just recently, upon booting up the console, I get past the 360 splash screen, and it's about to load my dashboard, but it just gets stuck in loading. The little loading animation is spinning around, and nothing.

Anyone seen this before, or know what it is?

First time it happened, I turned off the console and turned it back on and everything loaded fine.

Second time it happened (just now as I'm typing this) it remained in loading for 5 mins. So I turned off console, and turned it back on, and it remained in loading for about 2 minutes, and then the dashboard finally loaded up and all is well (and--btw-- this coincided with it signing me into XBL).

Do you think there's some connection between it loading and signing me into XBL? This is really weird. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 540 Applies to:

Hey there Pengman! Just so I'm clear, you are currently set to automatically sign in or does this happen when you choose to sign in? What if you turn auto sign in to off and then reboot the console. Do you notice the freezing again, or does the Dashboard load? Do you notice the freezing when you then try to sign in to LIVE? Let me know what you find out, thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My profile is set to automatically sign on. To reiterate, in the example I described above, after waiting 2 minutes at the "loading screen", the dashboard loading coincided with me signing into XBL. It was simultaneous, so I assumed they were connected.

I will set my profile to not automatically sign in, and we'll see what happens.

Btw, is this issue in relation to the recent dashboard update?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, Pengman. Let us know what happens when you disable automatic sign in. You might also want to try the steps offered in this sticky as well as the troubleshooter linked at the bottom of the page forums.xbox.com/.../8221.aspx. Once you go through these steps we'll be able to identify more information about the problem. Thanks a bunch! Let me know if you have any questions.

Sorry this didn't help.

I booted up my console. It took 2-5 minutes to finally get passed the "loading screen". It automatically logged me into my profile, but I did NOT connect to XBL (my internet connection is fine-- obviously, haha).

Nonetheless, I went to my profile and disabled auto-sign in. I turned off my console and turned it back on.

Got past the splash screen, the "loading screen" was up for a half second and took me to the "choose your profile" screen.

I selected my profile. In green font above my profile it said "signing in" and was stuck in this status for 2 minutes. Finally a white screen opened up that said showed my gamertag and said "signing in" and it was stuck in this status for 2 minutes, and then it said that my console couldn't connect to XBL.

I decided to go clear my cache and then boot off my console. I was going to reset my router (even though I don't think this is the case, but maybe it is).

Router is now reset. Got to the profile screen. Selected my profile. It signed in immediately (okay maybe it was my router). I booted up Mass Effect 3 (it's installed on the hard drive). It queued me to download an update.

All is well for now. Can you please give me insight into what the issue is/was? If I change my profile back to automatically signing in, will this problem re-occur? Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to hear you got your profile working again. I would say try setting the auto sign in up again and see what happens. Since this seemed to improve after resetting your router, I'm assuming that was the cause of the issue. Let us know what you find out though, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't think it was my router--and, secondly, how would my router cause a problem like this? My internet connection should have no impact on how long something takes to load. Or if it does, please explain this.

Keep in mind, when this problem cropped up initially, it'd take 2-5 minutes to load, and then I would sign into XBL with a perfectly fine connection.

It was only the LAST time I tried and it wouldn't connect. This could be a pure coincidence. Also, I cleared my cache before I reset my router. So I'm not sure how the router is being solely blamed here. That's all conjecture I think.

Look, I support Xbox, so I'm more forgiving if there is something wrong with the last dashboard update, or whatnot. I'm happy things seem to be working fine for now, but I still would love to know what the cause of the problem is. If microsoft is working on a new update to fix it, then good deal.

Thanks for all the help, and if you have any explanations for how my router could be causing a problem (considering it's a 150 dollar router, 2 months old, never had problems before, and I had a perfectly good connection to my laptop, I don't really understand this, but I digress), I'd love to hear it. Let me make one last point... I've lost connection to my internet before during a storm. The power went out and came back on, but my internet was still out. I booted up my console, and it loaded my profile immediately, but it said "offline". It didn't take 2-5 minutes to load.

So I would guess that clearing my cache is more likely to be what resolved this issue. Do you have any ideas there, if that were the case?

Sorry this didn't help.