360 slim refusing to connect to my Belkin router.

What Country/State/Province do you live in? UK

Router brand & model number: Belkin Surf D300
Network Connection Type: Wireless
I
f Wireless, what type of encryption are you using?  Eh? WPA/WPA2 SKI
Things you have tried: Rebooted router and console numerous times. Pissed around with multiple settings on my router, attempted to add in connection by unlisted and ad-hoc method, to no avail.
Is UPnP Enabled? no
Is NAT Type Open? No idea, this doesnt appear to be listed in the menu nowadays.
A
ny Error Codes you encounter: The standard 3 errors that helpfully rotate on each attempt.
What type of internet do you have? Cable/DSL/T1/3G? BT line
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)?  TalkTalk
When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen? The 3 standard ones. Reboot router etc, then "your WEP key or WPA passcode is incorrect" YEAH RIGHT!!! Then finally tells me to pick another wireless connection.

It would appear I've got a 360 slim that won't connect to my new router. There are around 10 devices working from my new Belkin Surf D300 router, including a PS3! but the Xbox is being useless. The above happens at the very first stage of the connection process. Please advise, thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 70 Applies to:

Hi, What is the exact model of the router, it will be printed on a sticker underneath starting with F. Belkin routers are pretty shocking for anything relating to Xbox IMO

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Why do you not have UPnP on?  Also we reaaaaaallly need to know what exact error message you're getting that kinda determines eveything we can suggest.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks boys.

The full errors are:

Can't connect to your wireless network. Make sure your connecting to the correct wireless network. Your console is configured to the belkin.7b46 network. Do you want to select a different wireless network?

Can't connect to your wireless network. Turn your router or modem off and on again, then wait 30 seconds. Have you restarted your router or modem?

Can't connect to your wireless network. your wireless network is secured with a wep key or wpa passphrase. Your console may be using the wrong one. On your pc, go to your router configuration webpage and write down your wireless networks wep key or wpa passphrase.......

These 3 errors just rotate round in a mindless fashion suggesting my Xbox has no idea why it can't connect. I turned my UPnP off when I couldn't get connected and saw this support page:

en-au-support.belkin.com/.../360

The full model of the router is actually Belkin Surf+ N300. Model number underneath is F7D2401 v1. It's a bit on the cheap side I understand, but I"ve manged fine for the last 12 months with my cheapo, communist, Chinese made router provided free when Talktalk was setup and my PS£ and other devices connected no problem. : (

Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, the text doesn't seem to be formatting correctly for some reason. Hear's some details from the router's settings if they help....

Features

Firewall Settings Enabled

SSID belkin.7b46

Security WPA/WPA2-Personal (PSK)

UPnP Disabled

Remote Management Disabled

WPS Disabled

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh FFS! Thanks for helping out on this. I'll contact Belkin and see if there's anything they can do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just thinking. Do you know if it should work using a wired connection? IE, just running an ethernet from my 360 to the router?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wired should be totally fine

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if this will help you as my belkin router is a different model than yours but my problems were the same(router never allowed xbox to connect to it). Hopefully it does. Anyway I posted this fix to someone else's post just a while ago so I'm going to poaste it here:

1.) go to your router setup page. Type in the default ip address for your router in your internet browser, it'll be something like 192.168.2.1 and then hit enter. Login, the default password is blank so just hit Submit if you haven't changed the password yet.

2.) in the left column, click on "Wi-Fi Protected Setup." Now, on this page set the "Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS") and the "WPS hardware button"  to "Disabled" then hit apply changes, it may ask you to wait 60 seconds or so as it restarts the router. When your router turns back on, make sure it is still connected to the internet before you proceed further. It will tell you if it is or not in the top right hand corner of the setup page.

3.) now, in the left hand column, click on "Channel and SSID." On this page under "2.4ghz," change the "Wireless Channel" to "11," and turn "Protected Mode" off. Still working under "2ghz," change the "SSID" name to something different, anything will do, this is the name of your network as it will appear on all of your devices, remember it, you will need to look for this name on your xbox wireless networks in the wireless configuration menu.  Make sure the "Broadcast SSID" box is checked. Under "5ghz" change wireless mode to "off." Hit Apply Changes and it will ask you to wait while it restarts the router. When your router turns back on, make sure it is still connected to the internet before you proceed further.

4.) left hand column again, click "Security." Under "2ghz" change the "Security Mode" to "64bit WEP." The "Key" will now appear below with five small text boxes. You need to enter two digits in each of these boxes. This will be your log-on password to your router, so remember it. You will need to enter this password the first time you log on to the router with each of your devices. If you had an old password, forget it, this is your new password. Hit Apply Changes. Again your router will ask you to wait as it applies the changes and restarts.  When your router turns back on, make sure it is still connected to the internet before you proceed further.

5.) start up the xbox, go into your system settings, network setting, wireless networks, and then look for the name of your network, it's the new name that you chose in step 3, the SSID name. Select the network and enter the log-on password you chose in step 4. Enter this password without any spaces, it is also case sensitive. Hit enter and your xbox should now connect to your router and the internet.

6.) the first time you log-on to your router from your other devices, you will need to find the new wireless network name from the list of scanned networks, select it and enter the password you chose.

7.) After all of this you should now be able to log-on to your router and internet automatically with all of your devices.

As I was doing this fix I had a couple of concerns, namely in that I turned the 5ghz wireless signal off as well as several secuirty options. However, after having the router setup in the above manor I found my internet performance actually increased and secuirty is pretty tight too. I had my doubts but this definitely worked for me. If this is all too confusing, then just call the Belkin support line, granted they are not the best customer care center but be persistent and call in the afternoon, I called like 5 times at night and no one could seem to help me, but the first time I tried calling during the day the representative solved my problem right away. I know that's all a pain in the @@@ and shouldn't be necessary but learning this now will save time in the future with other products you may come across, plus you already bought it, you may as well learn how to use it.

Sorry this didn't help.

i plug 1 in to xbox plug other into xbox and it wont connect to live can anyone help?

Sorry this didn't help.