360 S hard drive compatability

Hey folks,

First off, I'm only interested in solutions to my problems that are permitted according to the XBOX TOS... I'm not sure if any solutions are but I figured this would be a good place to figure that out.

I own a 250-gig Xbox 360-S and recently the GPU fan because noisy (think baby rattle noisy) and then stopped working.  Obviously the console, not being cooled, shut itself off to avoid overheating and since the initial fan failure the fan has stayed broken.

The MSFT warranty has expired, but the console is covered under a store purchased 3 year warranty plan that is covering the repair.  I removed the hard drive and UPS-d it off to the service center to hopefully see it again in 3-4 weeks.

My question is this: Is the hard drive on a 360-S compatible only with a 360-S under the TOS? Or can I hook it up to an older 360? With the recent game releases and some coming up next week, it was a really crappy time to lose my xbox so I was thinking if I can grab an xbox on the cheap and switch my hard drive in it might be worthwhile... assuming that it is all *LEGAL* according to MSFT.

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Its a violation of the ToU to make a S hdd work with an old console. It CAN be done but should not due to it being a self fix.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If your console dies, and the HD is still intact and things are beyond warrant repairs, you can buy a new cheaper 4 GB model and put the HD into it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with Jameser78, but you could also use a older XBOX360 with the old HD's (if you have any laying around... I have 5 lol) and with the use of a transfer cable (sold at the MS Store or any retailer ie: GameStop, BestBuy, Future Shop etc) you can transfer data from your "S" HD to your "older" HD, just like you did (or could have done) when transfering data from a old system to the newer Slim consoles.

Sorry this didn't help.