360 hdmi to tv optical to soundbar producing no sound. Xbox one also hooked via hdmi works fine.

trying to connect 360 to tv via hdmi, and tv to soundbar via optical cable produces no sound from soundbar. 

Here is my current set:

1. cable box hdmi out to xbox one hdmi in

xbox hdmi out to tv in - input 1

2. Xbox 360 hdmi out to tv hdmi in - input 2

3. TV optical out to soundbar optical in

xbox one plays fine, and I seem to get surround sound from video games and cable. 

I am currently getting no sound from 360 to soundbar. 360 will only play sound through tv even though optical cable is connected from tv to soundbar. I have a feeling it has to do with xbox one being connected to another input. Even though I am, of course, using input 2 for 360 when playing 360 games, I wonder if Xbox one is interfering with the signal? And, telling the soundbar through the tv, 'I am THE ONE, and u will only hear my voice.' 

Anyways, curious if anyone has suggestions on what may be wrong. Here, I'm basically trying to use my soundbar for all things tv related. And, I would've thought connecting the One and 360 via hdmi on separate inputs would allow each hdmi signal to go through and the tv would send whichever signal (input being either One OR 360) was currently running through optical cable to soundbar. 

As an fyi, I was originally connecting One hdmi to soundbar to tv. And, 360 was using optical directly to soundbar. Overall, I thought sending optical from tv to soundbar would be the most efficient connection path until I ran into this problem. 

any ideas/questions?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 279 Applies to:

Hi, if you swap the hdmi connections over on the tv so the xbox 360 uses input 1 and the xbox one uses input 2 do you then get audio from the xbox 360 and not the xbox one ?

Some hdmi inputs only accept the video signal and not the audio which would explain why you only get audio from whichever device is connected to the hdmi port on the tv which accepts both video and audio.

Bananas !!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried that. I also tried a couple other things. I disconnected the ONE altogether to separate that from the equation. I changed hdmi input ports. I then, also tried connecting the 360 hdmi directly to the soundbar. None of this works. It seems like a couple possibilities here. 360 is NOT able to pass audio through hdmi to this soundbar, period. It is able to pass through the optical cable, however. So, either 360 doesn't pass audio through hdmi to this particular soundbar or something is just broken in my 360. Obviously, it passes audio through hdmi to tv as I get sound that way. So, something between the hdmi signal from 360 to this particular soundbar just doesn't work. I think for my overall setup, I really need the One to connect directly to tv because this gives the best sound for most of what I'm doing (when  one is connected directly to soundbar, then to tv, I get worse sound, so One has to be connected to tv first, then optical to soundbar which prevents me from hooking up 360 optical to soundbar as I'm not switching out plugs every time I switch systems). So, 360 is simply going through tv speakers now. Not a huge deal, but I'm surprised I can't hook this up the way I had it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Give this a try, go to settings/ system/ console settings/ display. Disable display discovery and see if that helps any please.

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually, I already tried that as well. I just tried it again and I'm now seeing that when I disable, it of course, doesn't recognize the display setup. However, when I transfer it back to enabled and restart it, it doesn't recognize the display, either and I still have to manually set it to 1080p. So, maybe, the 360 can't 'fully' connect to this tv? It's a sharp HDTV. But, overall just looks like we're not getting a full information transfer here.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you think it may be some setting on the tv which allows you to select which hdmi input will output to the optical output on the tv.

If you could post the model number of your tv I don't mind having a look around for a possible solution.

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.

Sharp LC-46SB54U

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this on page 10 of the user manual.

*4 * Depending on the connected equipment, audio will not output from the DiGiTAL AUDIO OUTPUT terminal in HDMI connection¸ In this case, set the audio formats of the connected equipment to PCM, 32/44¸1/48 kHz and 16 bits¸

That may be an issue as there is no option to set the audio output on the 360 to PCM, maybe try the various options in the Audio settings on the xbox ?

I would have thought that having both consoles connected via hdmi and just having the optical audio out from the tv to the soundbar would work though.

Bananas !!

Sorry this didn't help.