360 Disk Tray

So when I first bought my 360, and was hooking it up. I plugged the power cord in, than the AV cables second... Well, while I was hooking up the AV cables, I accidentally pressed the eject button.Obviously the disk tray opened. But my hand was in the way. I quickly moved my hand, to allow the disk tray to open, though I was not fast enough, and stopped it for a second. Was just wondering if doing something like this could cause problems with the disk tray.... 

Thanks in advance for your answers. I know that this happened around a week ago, and everything seems fine. But being the paranoid person I am, I still had to ask, just to reassure myself. Thanks again.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Thanks for all the help guys. I generally care for my system greatly.... and generally things like this does not happen... Just have financial problems right now, so I would rather not *** my 360 over,. :P

Thanks again. I used a friends 360, that honestly does not care about his system, because he thinks the slims suck. So I was able to test the disk tray a little bit, and realized that it stops the tray from trying to open when blocked. It stops, than tries one last push, than waits, than goes back in if it is still blocked. :P

Thanks again.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="GodsTeeth UK"]

not sure if this could happen but, i think the main prob would be the little plastic cog thing jumping some teeth on the trays cog thing, thus not shutting at the correct time to able the disc to be lifted clear before it spins.

[/quote]

Normally these drives just move until they hit the end of their track, then stop. Timing isn't an issue if it jumps a few teeth. However, those teeth are fragile, so I would avoid letting them "jump" of course.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's nothing serious when it happens once in a while, but it keeps happening, it can damaged the DVD drive inside.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wouldn't suggest doing it often, but that bump/retract thing is a safety feature to keep from stripping the gears or whatever that makes it slide out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I am lucky enough to have access to two 360's so I tested it... I don't think what I did would cause any harm. Because when you put pressure on the disk tray, it just retracts, and goes back in. It has a self installed mechanism that tries to prevent this type of thing.

Sorry this didn't help.

not sure if this could happen but, i think the main prob would be the little plastic cog thing jumping some teeth on the trays cog thing, thus not shutting at the correct time to able the disc to be lifted clear before it spins.

Sorry this didn't help.

I did not push it back in. My hand was there, I simply stopped it slightly, than quickly moved my hand away, and powered off the system to allow it to close. So hopefully I didn't harm it... Just slightly stopped it. :P

Sorry this didn't help.

It's not good for the motor, but I don't think you caused any real harm. Like mentioned above, try not to do it again, just in case.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes it could, don't do it again.

Sorry this didn't help.