320gb issue

I bought the Halo 4 Xbox that has 320gb so it was empty when i bought it but after i started halo 4 i use 8gb up. But it went from 300gb to 292gb where did the other 20gb go? It was completely empty and that is the only game i have played on this console so far. Anyone mind giving me suggestions?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

Hey,

-

That is normal. Every new system or hard drive does that. It has to save room for certain things. You can learn more about it by clicking this link.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Wait but 20gb of memory?

Sorry this didn't help.

That 20 gig hard drive was just an example. There are 20gb and 120gb and others. That link basically just shows you what is used even if your hard drive is new.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Sorry this didn't help.

Anytime you buy a hard drive, not just Xbox hard drives, the actual memory available is always less than what is listed on the package. So you between that and the system files required by Xbox, it eats up a lot of space.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh i didn't even see the link sorry. Ohhhh okay i get it now thank you! I was just wondering because i thought i was taking up memory up for something random >.<

Sorry this didn't help.

^^ At least you have a 320gb so you won't really notice the little bit gone. Imagine if we all had 20gb hard drives.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

Sorry this didn't help.

Some of the "missing" memory is because of number format differences. Hard drive sizes are advertised with 1 GB = 1000 MB, but a computer calculates 1 GB as 1024 MB. In addition to that, approx 8GB are reserved for system use and backwards compatibility with original Xbox game discs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Defiant Fox. dont feel bad! my console (same like yours, minus the halo branding) had the same issue. When i unboxed it, i just booted it up then it prompted: system update. Methinks ok lets do it (hey its was my 'box). Updates done, play first game (kinect sports, how much cheesier can i get?) It prompts location to save, HDD has only 296gb space. now im thinking, that was a brand new EMPTY drive that i just put in, how in hell could 24gb be missing? the update cold not have been 24G's as my data cap is 10G's. Now im here, 4 game installations later with only 272gb left. Yes i ponder it too, most definitely the system reserve cannot take a whole 20gb+ of space. But the cold reality is that it actually appears to do so. So in response, Its is 100% normal to have lost all that space. If you feel robbed of storage space and you really want answers contact (phone) Support. My suggestion, just flow with it (like i'm doing). Its not like you will use a whole 292Gb of data within your consoles lifespan -(the new xbox is due to launch soon). :)

P.S. feel free to ask more questions if you need to!

Sorry this didn't help.