320 gb hard drive issues

Hi, 

I recently purchased a 320  gb xbox. It has been running fine for the last month and a half I've owed it untill yesterday. I was online playing mw3 with the console sitting vertical, I bumped the unit and it fell to horizontal while the disc was still spinning. I took out the disc and shut down system, when I tried to play disc again it wasnt recognized. I tried another game and it worked fine. Needless to say the MW3 disc is scratched and wont play, this is where my problem gets interesting. I continued to play other games in which everthing was normal, i finished and shut off console. The next time i turned it on it no longer  recognizes a hard drive and im stuck at login page . I have taken drive out and reinserted with noi luck, nothing seems to work. I just ordered a new hard drive from microsoft and it better be the solution to my problem for 120 bucks ....not to mention the 40 for a new mw3 game. If thres any info you could give me i would appreciate it. BTW I already smashed the old hard drive in frustration (bad idea) then relized i couldve sent it in.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Hey buddy, if I'm reading right, the problem with the game is something commonly referred to as "Laser Burn", effectively, Laser burn is when the disc is pushed against the disc reader, which cause scratching.

This scratching is nigh-on impossible to fix, on occasion it has been known for disc cleaners, (such as those found at game shops) to fix the problem, though it isn't very likely.

This is not an official thread, but it does some up what I just said, and how to prevent it. forums.xbox.com/.../2157684.aspx

In regards to your broken hard drive, there at two possibilities that spring to mind.

1). A hard drive is made up of a spinning disc, or multiple spinning discs, which are read by a mechanical arm, much like a standard disc reader. It's possible and likely that part of of the mechanism was damaged in the fall.

2). The hard drive port on the Xbox itself is damaged from the fall. You can tell if this is the case by using a data transfer cable, hooking your hard drive up to your Xbox, with the aforementioned cable, and seeing if you can at least access it that way.

Hope your problem is/was solved.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="ABC CoNoR CBA"]

2). The hard drive port on the Xbox itself is damaged from the fall. You can tell if this is the case by using a data transfer cable, hooking your hard drive up to your Xbox, with the aforementioned cable, and seeing if you can at least access it that way.

Hope your problem is/was solved.

[/quote]

This will be impossible as the OP stated at the end of the post that they smashed the old HDD.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.