30mb download, 2mb upload. Unplayable lag.

For about 2 months now I have been experiencing lag across every game I play on XBL, mainly SF4 and Halo 4. 

I have tested my internet speed multiple times, always resulting in around 30mb download and 2mb upload and very low ping averaging around 15, which apparently is a decent connection.

Other pcs and gaming consoles in my household experience no lag at all which is strange as they use a wireless connection and recieve a better connection then my wired 360.

I have scoured the internet in search of answers but I cannot find anyone with a similar problem, which has lead me here. 

I have a Virgin Media Superhub if that helps at all.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 63 Applies to:

I also have a VirginMedia SuperHub and roughly the same connection as you. Now my problem was that I had a fault with my modem/router... it maybe worth your while logging the D/L, U/L speeds, ping rate, jitter rate and latency for say seven days and then going to Virgin and explain the problem to them.

They ended up making me do this for an additional week and then sent a replacement out. And since my problems have been solved though I do accept at peak times of the day there maybe some minor issues with connection as Virgin do cap speeds so everyone gets a fair connection. But nothing to the extent that would induce serious lag.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

[quote user="NOT NORAA"]experiencing lag across every game I play on XBL, mainly SF4 and Halo 4. [/quote]

Keep in mind, that these games are usually peer to peer multiplayer games. So no matter how fast YOUR connection is, if the other player(s) in your match have slow and laggy connections, you will also see them lagging around.

Imagine your internet connection as a driveway from your private house to the public road, and you driving a fast sports car with the game's information in the trunk. You have a well paved, 2 lane driveway only for yourself, and you push the pedal to the metal with 2Mbit/s of speed. As soon as you leave your premises, you are usually in not so densely trafficked city roads, also with multiple lanes and a bit traffic. 2MBit/s is still doable here. Then, as soon as you leave the uplink of your internet service provider, you are on the public internet highway. Traffic congestion happens. Roads are blocked and rerouted through rural areas. You have to slow down, and can't achieve the full speed anymore. Then you traveled across the globe, just to arrive at a dirt road, where you have to crawl slowly, as not to damage your sports car.

You then deliver the packet to the other player, recieve his game information, put it in your sports car, and slowly drive the dirt road back, then across the globe back to your continent, through congested highway roads, until you then arrive back at your hometown, where you pick up speed again. And when you arrive at your private driveway, you can then speed with 30MBit/sec back to your doorstep.

Also know, that internet providers usually detect requests to typical speed measuring sites like speedtest.net and the likes. Instead of sending you across the globe, they choose the nearest measuring server, and often "cheat" by putting you on a special fast lane route during the speedtest, and on cheaper "normal" congested roads for all other requests.

Back to your games: Since Halo 4 and Street Fighter IV are peer to peer connections, the game data is sent directly from your console to the other player(s). So since you say your PC and other devices connect to the internet without problem and fast speeds, there is unfortunately nothing you can do, as the lag is probably caused by the other players and slow "road conditions" in the public internet between you and the other players in your match.

Sorry this didn't help.

here is your issue

if you are hard wired you will need to port forward or port trigger your router or super hub, i had same issue i have 4 xboxs in my house with the best router for xbox live the netgear 3700 wndr v4, and if i hard wired it was bad but wireless it kicked butt, ill give you link on port forwarding and port triggering, you may want to go to virgin mobiles website and make sure they dont have port and mtu restrictions here is link for xbox required ports. and mtu...

support.xbox.com/.../network-ports-used-xbox-live

if this isnt helpful please call 18004myxbox, and they can actually access your system and pinpoint your issue, with you approval that is, good luck and hope this is helpful.

Sorry this didn't help.