30 day refund policy is lame on xbox live gold memberships

Just wanted to point out that the 30 day "refund" policy for xbox live gold memberships is quite lame.  My account auto renewed, and because I didn't check my credit card bill immediately and call within 30 days (it's now ~45 days), the only option was to remove the gold membership from my account, and give me a "token" for xbox live gold membership.  If I wanted a token for xbox live gold membership, I wouldn't have bothered to cancel it. 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 123 Applies to:

1-This is a support forum for people who need help with an issue. So if you have an issue please ask away. Otherwise if you are just ranting then you should have posted in the General Discussion Forum.

2-Auto renewal is on by default. The XBL Terms of Service tells everyone that, all they have to do is take the time to actually read it. 

3-That is how MS runs their business. If you do not like it then you are free to take your money elsewhere. Just an FYI, the retail shop where I work has a strict 30 day return/refund policy that has worked for close to a decade. Many businesses do that because a) it ensures they don't get abusers returning merchandise at the end of a season that they (the customer) does not want to store away until next season and b) it saves them money. 

4-You can use the token on the same account instead of putting a credit card onto it. Then when it comes time to add more time you can just use a pre-paid card. Then viola, no more surprises beyond the return window. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

For a retail store it's kind of obvious if I actually bought something, as I have to physically get it in the store, so it's hardly the same thing.  You also physically swipe a persons card.   So I was billed on 2/5.  My CC billing cycle ends around that time, and as it happens, this was 1-2 days AFTER my new billing cycle started.  So, by the time my new bill came and I actually had a chance to look at it, it was already past the time when I could get a refund.  If you want to issue some kind of useful refund, offer people MS points or something, not a token for something they clearly don't want.

Sorry this didn't help.

You do realise you're told about auto renewal in great detail before signing up right?

Sorry this didn't help.

How often do you check your e-mail account? When an account comes up for auto renewal MS sends out three notices, one at 45 days out, one out at 30 days out and one at 15 days out. Plenty of opportunity for someone to contact MS and have them turn off that option to prevent a charge. You should check your e-mail account settings and make sure you haven't got messages from MS going to the spam folder so you get them properly.

Sorry this didn't help.