3 red rings after update

When I turned on my 360 today it said there was an update available. After it rebooted my son was able to play about 1 minute of call of duty then it froze.  He had to reboot the box.   It froze on the white screen w the Xbox 360 logo. I later rebooted again. First time I got 3 red rings. I rebooted and it froze on the white/logo startup screen.  Ever since all I get are the 3 red rings.

Based on other posts, other users are getting this too.   Does anyone have a solution to this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 57 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

@Tess Turbo:  You can always recover purchases and downloaded content through a License Transfer and through your Download History.  As for saved games, you'll either need to find a way to copy them over to a USB drive (Take the hard drive to a friends house with their Xbox console if need be) or use a transfer cable to move all of the data over to the new console.   Helpful links:  

License Transfer (DRM - Digital Rights Management): support.xbox.com/.../download-content

Transfer Cable: support.xbox.com/.../set-up-transfer-cable

Using a USB Drive as storage: support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

How to move content: support.xbox.com/.../manage-games-data

Download History (Re-download content): http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content-history

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you get a new system than you can use a transfer cable to transfer all the content on the hdd to the new one. If it is the system update that caused it than I dont know if a transfer cable would work. It might transfer the incomplete update too. You could probably update the new system and then transfer the data from the old one. It shouldn't overwright it. Also could just license transfer and redownload everything again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Liquatic.   That is pretty much what I expected from MS.  I don't know how we would prove that the update itself broke our Xbox, the act of updating this time broke it, or it was a crazy coincidence that it worked and then it didn't.   I have been doing tech support on games and systems since 1995 with Sierra so I see both sides of this saga.  

If I just skip the hassle and get a new Xbox, what are the chances of saving my data?   I downloaded a ton of songs for Rock Band 3, plus combined music from other RB games.  I really don't want to lose all that.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

They won't give you a free repair unless you're within the extended 3 year warranty (3 years from the purchase date), no matter what you say.  Microsoft only offers free repairs within warranty.  If they see an issue because of the update in the near future they will at best extend the warranty for update issues, but this is highly unlikely.   As for your post IRayDawg, the 360 S model cannot get the 3 red lights, as it doesn't have 3 quadrants of lights on the power button.  It can only get 1 red light each time.  Because the original poster said they were getting 3 red lights, it's safe to assume it's the Original Xbox 360.

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure how I would do that, but I am going to give it a shot.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Tess

If you can prove that this is due to a bad update, perhaps they will take care of it for free?

Sorry this didn't help.

That makes sense.  After the update none of my controllers would work.  The screen came up, they indicated that they were connected but the system would not respond, so an incomplete update sounds about right. Odd that it would give the 3 Rings of Power Supply Doom, but stranger things have happened.

I don't want to lose my downloaded data ( I have a TON of rockband music I have downloaded) and I don't have a second xbox, so I will try going through the repair process and see if they will take care of me.  Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello all

I talked to a tech about this and he recommended the following which worked for me:

If you have another xbox system, simply disconnect the external hard drive out of the system that experienced the problem and place it in a working xbox system.  Then erase the hard drive.  Remove it and connect it back to the xbox in question and it should boot up without any problems.

In my case, it would appear that the culprit was a bad update or my son didn't wait for it to complete.

Sorry this didn't help.

The update was for improvement to some color and performance issues for the dashboard..

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same thing happen last night.  I downloaded the update and then got the 3 red rings.  Console was working fine before that, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get the update.  I am having trouble believing that the console had chosed that very moment to fail.  It is an original Xbox 360.   What was in that update?  Anyone know?

Sorry this didn't help.