3 Light RROD Question

Hello, I can't seem to find the answer to my question anywhere, so I am hoping you can help.  Last week my 360 (Elite) began freezing. I would hear a horrible screech and then the screen would go pixelated and the console would freeze. I first noticed this When Playing Fable 3 and joining another Heroes game (well to be honest I was joining my silver tag account with my gold account) I thought it was odd that I could play the game fine until I joined in with another hero. Then it started doing the same thing while playing Madden '12. I could browse the menus as long as I wanted but shortly after the coin flip or the kick off it would freeze the same way. Again I thought this was weird as I was online during the freeze (Playing MUT games). The next day the xbox froze during the start up screen. A quick off/on fixed it, but again it froze during a MUT game on Madden so I shut it off. Friends said RROD is coming. The 3rd day I followed steps found here. clearing cache did nothing. I removed the hard drive and was able to play a full game on Madden. I re-attached the HD and was also allowed to play a full game. The thing froze during the second game though. It was off for 4 days. I turned it on tonight to play some more Fable and it froze. I moved my profiles and save games to a flash drive, getting ready for the RROD. After the second freeze they showed up. I turned it off, let it set a few minutes, and tried again. RROD again. The 3rd time it came on and works fine.

During the RROD I checked the power brick, light was green. I also think it is odd that it only freezes during game play. I can browse the XBOX menus, send messages to friends, browse netflix, etc etc. but only during game play will it freeze.

I read that MS will fix the RROD for an extended 3 years, which I fall under. However, I also read that if they get the console and it does not have the RROD they wont do anything and send it back. So, after all of this long winded post, my question: If my RROD is intermittent can I (or should I) send it in for repair, or should I wait until it will ONLY RROD? I don't want to be without it longer than I have to be, and I don't want to waste their time (or more importantly mine) with an intermittent problem.

Any help with the issue of returning the xbox is greatly appreciated. :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

I'd send it back anyway. If the problem is as you suggest, intermittent, they wont just switch it on and see if it has RRoD they will try it repeatedly. the tech guys will also hook ure xbox up to other machines/computers etc to check for any other potential causes of ure problem. As you say, if after all this they find nothing and return it to you, then you've lost nothing, on the other hand you might send it back and it may RRoD on them also, in which case ure problem will be sorted :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. I did end up sending it in, after a few 15 hour sessions it RRod'd on me for good. Got it back today and will test it all out this weekend. I just wish they sent (either in box or through email) an explanation of what they did or what caused it. Curious minds and all...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.