2nd security check

I have no idea where to post this, so it's here until someone notifies me differently.  Ok my issue is, I'm constantly being asked to enter a 2nd line of security on my account almost on a daily basis each and every time I go on LIVE.  Seriously, I don't have a 2nd email account that i give out to others other than my work, friends and family. I don't particularly like the idea MS wants my mobile number or any other piece of data just so these messages can stop.

My current email account works just fine, so what's the chances of having this *** deactivated every time i sign in?  Believe it or not, some of us still enjoy our privacy.  I regularly change my password, never give out information to strangers, so I'm fairly sure I'm as secure as someone who has given MS those extra details but never change their password.  Probably more so.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Hey Prof,

Unfortunately there is no way to turn this security check off. You'll have to complete it in order to get your account secured to MS's needs.

For more information, please visit This Article.

The 2nd security check is annoying as hell.  I've entered a 2nd email, got the email, entered in the security code, and it STILL asks me sporadically.

[quote user="SamxBroski"]

Hey Prof,

Unfortunately there is no way to turn this security check off. You'll have to complete it in order to get your account secured to MS's needs.

For more information, please visit This Article.

[/quote]

Thanks, Sam, for posting the link. However, I have major issues giving any company my phone number and that includes MS. There is absolutely no reason why MS should have my mobile or home number nor should keeping my phone numbers private mean I'm bombarded with constant reminders or requests. They already have enough contact details and security questions to make sure I am who I say I am.  I simply value my privacy and don't trust any company 100% to keep those details from falling into the hands of others.  I've never received a cold call or spam text since I've had a mobile number and an ex directory phone number.  I would like to keep it that way.

Those inane reminders even hinder my online gaming due to the fact that receiving those reminders disconnects you from LIVE (if you receive one whilst online) until you cancel the request and sign in again.  It's a joke.

@Prof Bawbag

Just create a second email account with easy to recall nonsense information.

I use a made up/false email account for 95% of all internet sites I use. Including this gamertag 7 years ago.

When the increased security came out I created a 2nd email account using similar made up personal details. I received code via email inputted via the 360 and no more security checks.

WHY does MS need my password???    Most companies DON'T ask for a customers password at any time for any reason.  Just sayn......      GOOD LUCK!!!!

MS needs your passord the same way your bank does.Its encrypted to them so they wont actually know what your password is .The reason is simple.If someone steals your console or hard drive they could access your account .Thats why if you sign in with your profile on multiple consoles or switch hard drives it will ask you to verify you own it.Most times you can back out with the b button and resign in no problem .Ive done it hundreds of times and it always works.Make sure you have your MSN/Hotmail/Outlook info up to date to avoid future problems.

"They could access your account"........  I assumed the purpose of a password was to protect access to your account..........  Silly ME!!!    Everything worked fine before the option.......GOOD LUCK!!!!!

The check doesnt even work correctly I usually press b then re-sign in usually that bypasses it

@BongKaos-The only way "they could access your account" is if they stole your entire console and you had the "remember me on this console" option enabled.If your credit card info was on that console that person could purchase items with your credit card.All they yve to do is click "purchase" then "confirm"

I would recommend absolutely NOT using fake information.  Sure, it sounds all spiffy to use alias info, pulling the wool over the eyes of Big Corporation or whatever, but as soon as you forget your password, and it's trying to send a verification email to some fake address, or text a number you made up, you find you've dug yourself into a hole.  It is much more difficult to recover control of accounts that have fake information in them.

-

My question to you is, if you're so bent on living "off the grid" of Corporate America, what are you doing using an online service?  I've been an Xbox LIVE member for years, and I've never received any communication from Xbox that I didn't feel was completely legitimate and warranted.  The only time I've received anything on my phone from Xbox is when I requested a code be sent to me for online verification.  They even have an option on Xbox.com/account where you can switch promotional communication on and off, and if you have it set to on, you can divert it to a specific email.  That's a far cry better than the options other services have offered me.