20GB to 60GB hard drive upgrade issue on older model 360

Hello everyone,

Recently I purchased a new 60GB hard drive to replace my old 20GB hard drive in my non-slim 360. The console itself is probably about 2 years old at this point.

When I install the new 60GB hard drive, the 360 dashboard comes up, but the Xbox doesn't recognize that there's any memory devices in the machine.

If I hook up the 60GB hard drive to a transfer cable, it recognizes the drive as having 20GB on it.

Is there any simple fix for why my 360 isn't recognizing the new drive when it's directly plugged into it?

Thanks,
Toby

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 37 Applies to:

I think I ran into a similar problem. I did use the transfer cable to transfer my data onto the new hard drive (20gb to 60gb). This has technically bricked my hard drive for use on the Xbox 360. And despite all my digging, anything aside from hacking the hard drive here doesn't fix the problem.

So, my desire to buy a legitimate Xbox 360 hard drive in order to avoid a headache has turned into an even bigger headache. Just felt compelled to post here seeing as after all my digging, this was the thread that helped me out the most.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Other people have suggested that the 60 GB HDD might have come to you "defective"... I'm wondering, did you first attach the 60 GB to the transfer cable, and "format" it? If so, it's likely that that's what turned it from a real 360 HDD to a USB storage device that can only be used via the transfer cable. (The new HDD shouldn't be attached to the transfer cable in the first place, but lots of folks don't realize that.)

Sorry this didn't help.

I assumed it was from a 3rd party seller, my suggestion is to return this and buy from a Gamestop that sells the refurbished 60GB hard drives. www.gamestop.com/.../72158

Sorry this didn't help.

Check the bottom of the Hard Drive case see if it has a Microsoft label on the bottom - If it does not return it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I purchased it from an Amazon marketplace seller, and the packing it came in included the hard drive, an ethernet cable, and that little "instruction" type booklet that comes with almost any electronics anymore.

Is there any simple way to tell if it's knock off by the serial number or anything, or should I just return it at this point since I'm having issues?

Sorry this didn't help.

Where did you purchase this drive? Was it an official XBOX 360 hard drive or was this purchased via eBay or from an Amazon marketplace seller? If purchased from either eBay/Amazon marketplace you most likely have a knockoff hard drive which is not genuine and this could quite possibly be the reason as to why your having this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.