20GB hard drive not recognised by transfer cable

I find myself in search of some knowledge as I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a friend and I have had no luck.

My friend has recently bought a Slim to replace the old Premium and 20GB hard drive he had been using.

However an odd problem is occurring. We connect the 20GB hard drive to the Transfer Cable (yes it is an official one) and then connect the USB end into the Slim.

The problem is that the 20GB hard drive is not being recognised.

20GB hard drive works without fault in both his Arcade and my Elite. So the problem does not seem to be with the hard drive. Yes we've check and it appears to be genuine.

120GB hard drive from my Elite is detected by the cable and Slim. So again that doesn't seem to be the problem.

It is just that the cable and Slim don't detect the 20GB hard drive when they are all hooked up, we've even tried all the USB ports to see if that was the issue but again no luck.

Does the transfer software built into the dashboard not support the 20GB hard drive, are we going to have to try and find an old software disc to do the job?

Anyone got a clue what to do. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Have you tried connecting the 20Gb harddrive to the transfer cable on your 120Gb Elite and see if it's detected?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there. I believe you will need the transfer disc for transfers from a 20GB HDD.

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't help vote but someone else posted with this problem the other day, 20GB HDD to slim 250GB. No one seemed to know a fix (at least no one who responded in the thread).
Can your mate use a flash-drive to move the data over (if he has one). I know its a little more clunky than using the transfer cable but it might be easier than trying to find a software disc if it turns out that's what needs to be done.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Tudor VIII: Should have mentioned that the 20gb doesn't work when connected to my Elite by the transfer cable either. Very odd situation given it works fine when connected the regular way.

-

@Callumpy and GreyPilgrim: I guess this must be a case where the old disc is needed. I do have one somewhere but by the time I found it the content could be moved with a USB. I've got a 4GB USB Stick we can use for the transfer, so all is good that way.

-

I wonder if Microsoft are aware of the issue, as it seems the people who have old 360s with the 20GB hard drive would be the ones most likely to want to upgrade to a Slim.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know if this will help anyone, it may it may not.

i found that by transferring from old (20gb) xbox to the new hard drive works, just take the hard drive out of your new xbox plug in transfer cables and choose the option to transfer FROM xbox, did the trick for me, might do the trick for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

A good option for people who have the new Slim compatible transfer cable.

-

Unfortunately the original model of the cable, which I was posting about, does not have the needed connection on it to fit the Slim's hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.