Welcome to my unofficial Xbox 360 Networking Guide. This guide started as a summary of frequently asked questions that appeared on the Australian Xbox Live forums, and over the years has developed with the assistance of community members asking questions that were not in the original guide. This has led to a much, much, longer and more detailed guide. With the release of the new Xbox forums, I have updated it yet again to include pictures and revised several sections with more in-depth tutorials.
As always, if you have any questions that are not answered, or there are any errors, please post on the thread or contact me directly via PM or via Xbox Live. Your feedback helps to develop more informative documentation which will hopefully help others in the future.
When writing this guide, I aimed at providing assistance for people with a diverse range of technical skills. As a result there are sections which are fairly basic and written to provide an introduction to networking, which leads to some more
advanced troubleshooting techniques, and most sections will reference others for clarification.
This will hopefully assist in developing a wider awareness of networking and troubleshooting techniques. As the old saying goes: "'Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime".
Table of Contents
1. What is a Network?
2. What are Wireless Local Area Networks (WiFi)?
3. What are Wired Networks?
4. What is the difference between a modem, router, switch and hub?
5. What are the differences between Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, Straight through and Crossover Cables?
6. Which are better, wired or wireless networks?
7. Xbox 360 network adaptors
8. Can I use a 3rd Party Wireless Adaptor in my Xbox 360?
9. How do I test my Xbox Live Connection?
10. What is NAT, and why is mine strict (or moderate)?
11. What is MTU, and why is it stopping me from connecting to Xbox Live?
12. What is an IP Address, and what's the difference between Static and Dynamic (DHCP)?
13. What is a firewall, and how to I open the ports needed for an Xbox Live Connection?
14. Windows Firewall is causing an issue with Internet Connection Sharing
15. Can I use my laptop's wireless LAN/ Internet to connect to Xbox Live
16. Can I link multiple Xbox 360 Consoles using an Ethernet cable or Wireless?
17. Media Sharing from your Windows PC.
18. How does Xbox Live affect my Download Speeds and Cap/Quota?
19. How does Foxtel on Xbox 360 work?
20. What is the difference between a Mb and a MB?