2 Red Rings

Firstly, I've read all the related support documents on this website. Please don't link me to them, I know it's normally a good place to start and as such I started there. I'm also not under warranty or willing to pay for repairs from Micro$oft, as I could buy a new Xbox for less than £62 elsewhere.

So a few days ago my Xbox (one of the originals, I think a 'premium' model) started to RRoD. 2 lights, which according to Microsoft is over heating. The thing is it only happens with certain games. I've played the THPS HD demo for a few hours - no problems. Batman Arkham Asylum for hours - no problems. However, CoD:Black Ops lasts less than 5 mins before RRoDing and the same for Battlefield 3. 

I'm thinking that it's either CPU/GPU over heating? I'm far from an expert, but considering the games that do/don't make it RRoD, it seems relevant to how...intense, out of lack of better word, the games are. The warranty expired Christmas 2008 so yeaaaah, don't mind opening it up.

was wondering if anyone could either provide better diagnosis of what's wrong and perhaps a solution? Thanks. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Hello Ethan,

two reasons are for having 2 red rings.

1-Over heating is the main problem. If the system is on run for much longer time, then there is a chance to get over heated as the cooling ventilation system fail to function effectively. It can be attributed to the failure of cooling systems like the cooling fan and vents. It can be cooled off by switching off the system for two hours.

2-Lack of voltage can lead to 2 red light error. See whether the plugs are properly inserted to an outlet specially designed for Xbox console and check whether it is not shared by any other electrical equipment.

Also there are guides on the internet on how to fix your problem but it requires unscrewing the console.

It is not recommended if you are not sure on what to do.

So keeping your console well ventilated and having some breaks while playing games in order for the console to cool down are mainly the solutions

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Let me just start off by saying that we do not support nor do we condone the opening of your XBOX 360 console. Doing so voids any sort of ability for Microsoft to accept to fix your console even if you choose to pay for out of warranty service.

The 2 red rings simply means that the console is overheating in the simplest sense. This can be due to the CPU/GPU producing too much heat if this is only occurring in some games and not all. Some games work the XBOX 360 much harder than others, it all depends on how graphically intensive the game is how much of the CPU/GPU power the XBOX 360 has to use to run those games at an optimal rate. When it goes above it's maximum temperature this will produce the 2 RROD that you're experiencing.

You could try to place a fan right on the XBOX 360 and try to run these games again and see if you get better mileage but eventually you'll need to either get the console serviced or replaced if you want to continue playing these games. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok so another thing I felt I should add - I get no error message on screen. I do know the secondary error code is 0011 (obtained by holding the sync button and pressing eject - google if you don't know what I'm on about) which is related to CPU overheating I've just learnt. I also don't get 'locked out' whilst it cools down as I've read some users do.

Considering the almost-but-not-quite-instant RRoD, I'm thinking it's probably poor or no contact between the heatsink and the CPU? I'll get some artic thermal paste and give it a go I guess?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ethan! To stress Hassassinade's point above, self-repair is against the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use, so we don't recommend it. We do recommend an official Microsoft repair to ensure that the repair is done correctly and within our ToU. However, if you are intent on self-repair, it is a violation, and as such I have to lock this thread due to discussion of ways to violate the ToU. Thank you for your understanding!

Sorry this didn't help.