12 month live prepaid membership. Not able to get free gold games?

I got an email from xbox live about getting halo 3 free when i tried to it said i had no payment info on file & wanted a credit card. Can I not get the free game even when I paid the 59.99 for the 12 month live gold membership? Because i am new to this and have no clue

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

Since the switch from MS points to currency, you will need to have a CC, prepaid cc, debit card on file for free stuff due to tax purposes on MS's end. Nothing will be charged to you at ll, but a card of some kind is required.

You can add your card details and then remove them straight away.

It will acknowledge that you have had a payment method on file but nothing can be charged to your card.

You do not need to have a card on file to get the games for gold.  I do not and never will have my card on file and I have been able to get the game for gold every time.

INDEED!!!!  Preauth is a thing so "ANY" card will not work.  Free to GOLD is just that.  No need for more than one topic btw....  Try changing the payment method..... I heard that may help.  A HDD with enough room is also required. It's a big download that may take a long while...  What message do you receive????

don't select the game from your pc, and have it download when you put your xbox on. just use your xbox , when I use my pc I can't download without a CC, with just my xbox I have no problem,