1 Red Ring e71 & e79 error

For about the last week my xbox has been freezing up sometimes seconds after loading the dashboard, sometimes 5 minutes. When I try rebooting it wont load up and I get an e71 error. Sometimes but not nearly as often I will get the e79 error instead of the e71. I was wondering if someone could tell me what these error codes mean and what I could do to fix it BESIDES send it in to get fixed. Ive tried checking all the cables and plugging them back in. Ive tried booting with and without the harddrive. Ive tried updating the dashboard manually by burning the files to a dvd but it says my system is upto date so it doesnt install. I even gave the xbox a good blasting of compressed air to get all the dust of of it. Nothing seems to work. The xbox never gets moved at all and its never been dropped, bumped or even looked at funny. From all the digging ive done on forums and stuff, it seems that the e71 has something to do with a corrupted dashboard update or something. I know Ive gotten an e71 error before when the plugs in the back werent in right but thats not the case this time. The thing is, the xbox doesnt let you reinstall any dashboard updates. I tried reformatting my hard drive just for fun, but that turned out to be less entertaining than I thought it would... and didnt solve the problem. Maybe a microsoft employee can tell me how to revert my xbox back to factory state so I can download all the updates again? One of the freezes happend during an xbox update, but at that point it was already freezing. If its not a corrupt system file then what the heck is going on? If it matters at all, it happend during a game of black ops 2 zombies at about 2am on a tuesday. Im pretty sure the moon wasnt full and I had steak and potatoes for dinner. I was wearing shorts and a T shirt. If you need any other information I would be happy to tell you if you think it would help in the diagnosis of my xbox. Anybody help?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 55 Applies to:

Hey Dead1y, sorry to hear about your issues. Have you tried reinstalling the System Update that may have caused this? The correct process to do so is  to go to System Settings > Memory > then hit in this order: Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X > Yes. See if that works for you, and do let us know!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey thanks for that code. I tried about a 50 of those that i read about on other forums that didnt work. It extracted the file and i downloaded it again. Everything seems to be working good now but that has happend before where the console worked for a little while then started crashing again. As of right now its good. I'll post in a day again to let you know if the fix seems more permanent and after ive had a chance to play a game for a few hours on it. Thanks again though. Even if it ends up not working at least you gave me some new information that I hadn't tried yet. I like to know I ran through all my options before I go handing money away. I will mark the question answered when i post again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Dead1y Cool! Glad to hear it's currently working, fingers crossed that this was the final solution. :) Let us know in a few days how it's going!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey thanks again for that info on how to reinstall the update. I think that did the trick. Its been a couple days since ive had a freeze. Before if it was gonna freeze it would do it within the first 10 minutes. Hopefully it stays fixed. Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried that I still freezes im installing it right know for the 3 time this week

Sorry this didn't help.

Please help me

Sorry this didn't help.

^^^Make your own forum post

Sorry this didn't help.