Unlink XBOX Gamertag from Email Address

Good evening, 

I currently have an issue with email addresses and Gamertags and was hoping you could clarify.

I have an email address which I use as my primary email. This was used to also create an XBOX gamertag for a child in my care. This child has now moved to a new family and therefore I would like to remove/unlink this gamertag from my email address and link the gamertag to a new email address. 

If you could provide any instruction it would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jody

Hey Jody

Thank you for taking the time to post this on the Xbox Forums. We understand that you are seeking a way to change the email address that is currently in use by another account.

Keep in mind that in order to change the email address or phone number on your Microsoft account, it is required to be done via that account, therefore you will need access to this account.

Additionally, you are also required to "verify" the email of the account in order to use it as your primary alias [email that you use to sign into the account]. You can superceed this by creating a new email address via the section that allows you to add a new email, as this will be a Microsoft domain attached to the address and you will not need to verify this domain.

Only after doing this, are you able to remove any email you previously had on there. You can follow the link I provided to get step-by-step instructions on how this can be done.

I hope this is of some use to you.

XBF Eladio M
Microsoft Agent
Xbox Forums Moderator
"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you are scared. – Eddie Rickenbacker." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Please can I just clarify that the instuctions provided will allow me to keep my email address and transfer the gamertag to a different email address? 

kind regards 

Jody

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Jody

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this thread.

A Gamertag cannot be transferred to another account. You can think of a Microsoft Account as an amalgamation of different services [Windows, Xbox, Outlook, Bing, etc.]

Therefore, what you are essentially doing with the method provide, is changing what email you log in with and receive notifications to.

You are not actually transferring any sort of save data or purchases. All of these are tied to your account indefinitely, unless otherwise forfeited.

Another thing to keep in mind [this is important] that if your account was originally created with a Microsoft domain [Outlook, Hotmail, msn, etc.] then you are still able to change the email you sign in with, but if you remove that email address from your account, it will be permanently lost.

I hope this was able to clarify any confusion this might have caused.

XBF Eladio M
Microsoft Agent
Xbox Forums Moderator
"Courage is doing what you are afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you are scared. – Eddie Rickenbacker." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you again. This has answered my question. 
kind regards

jody. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 352 Applies to: