My child can’t use the add ons?

I cant find any way of allowing my child to use the add-ons I got with her new xbox one. She can use the mincraft game but as instructed on the Microsoft site- “Note If you’re a parent with associated child accounts, make sure that you make purchases with your own account, as child accounts do not provide a payment method for this.” -So that is what I did, I downloaded it on my account. But now she can’t use the add-ons that came free in the box. I have no interest in using the xbox but had to create an account for her to use as she is a child! I can use the game and add-ons when signed into my account, the only way she can use it is on my account. I presumed that I could transfer it to her when it was downloaded. I have spent so much time setting the xbox up and it looks like she will still have to use my account, seems a common problem but no answer. I would love to buy her another game but I think it would only be my account that could use it? I did try to download it on her account originaly but it wouldn’t allow me to. (I also have 1000 coins which I downloaded to my account and cant use.) Wish I hadn’t bought it now!! Any sugestions please?

Secure your account and sign in. Switch user to your daughter while keeping yourself signed in, and she'll be able to use everything associated with your account.

I have to put a pass-code in every time upon signing in, and also to make purchases; a couple extra steps, but keeps others from making purchases from my account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

HI Phil,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Forums!

We understand this is frustrating and want to help as best as we can. What you can try doing is downloading the adult account onto the Xbox. Then set the adult account as the home Xbox. This will allow other accounts to use the games and such without the adult needing to be signed in.

Give these a try and let us know how it goes :)

Sincerely,
Jasmine
Xbox Forums Support
ಠ_ರೃ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Secure your account and sign in. Switch user to your daughter while keeping yourself signed in, and she'll be able to use everything associated with your account.

I have to put a pass-code in every time upon signing in, and also to make purchases; a couple extra steps, but keeps others from making purchases from my account.

Hi.

Thanks for the replies and I really appreciate the help.

I have tried these suggestions but it has not made any difference to my daughter being able to use the add-ons that came in the box.

JRG;  We have both been signed in at the same time and she can play the game (on both of our accounts) but the add-ons are still not visable on her account.

(I havnt set up any pass-code as you mentioned because it hasnt asked me to. I’m not worried about that side of it at the moment but may have to do that later.)

Jasmine;  I tried “downloading the adult account” onto the xbox and it said that it already existed. I then made sure that the adult account was the home xbox account. Now it has solved one other problem that I had, -as you said,she now can use the xbox without signing on to my account first and then hers, so that is much easier. I think that by making the xbox “my home” has solved that.   It’s interesting that apparently it should have been set to “home” when it was purchased but i’m sure I did’t change it!

Now, is it possible that the add-ons are not usable on other accounts because they are specificaly bought in a certain game so can only be used by the person who purchased them? Not that I bought them in the game as they came in the box as an electromic download. This means that I would have to purchase them again from within her game and she could download them for her personal use. Only a guess? As I said before that I had previosly tried to download them whilst signed into her account for that reason but it wouldn’t allow me to. And the same may be true for the coins that came with the original purchase and can only be use by myself,so I would need to purchase them again for her.

That would be a bit stupid as they could only be used by the purchaser and not the child!

Phil.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Phil,

Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Forums!

We understand this is frustrating and want to help as best as we can. What you can try doing is downloading the adult account onto the Xbox. Then set the adult account as the home Xbox. This will allow other accounts to use the games and such without the adult needing to be signed in.

Give these a try and let us know how it goes :)

Hi.

Thanks for the replies and I really appreciate the help.

I have tried these suggestions but it has not made any difference to my daughter being able to use the add-ons that came in the box.

JRG;  We have both been signed in at the same time and she can play the game (on both of our accounts) but the add-ons are still not visable on her account.

(I havnt set up any pass-code as you mentioned because it hasnt asked me to. I’m not worried about that side of it at the moment but may have to do that later.)

Jasmine;  I tried “downloading the adult account” onto the xbox and it said that it already existed. I then made sure that the adult account was the home xbox account. Now it has solved one other problem that I had, -as you said,she now can use the xbox without signing on to my account first and then hers, so that is much easier. I think that by making the xbox “my home” has solved that.   It’s interesting that apparently it should have been set to “home” when it was purchased but i’m sure I did’t change it!

Now, is it possible that the add-ons are not usable on other accounts because they are specificaly bought in a certain game so can only be used by the person who purchased them? Not that I bought them in the game as they came in the box as an electromic download. This means that I would have to purchase them again from within her game and she could download them for her personal use. Only a guess? As I said before that I had previosly tried to download them whilst signed into her account for that reason but it wouldn’t allow me to. And the same may be true for the coins that came with the original purchase and can only be use by myself,so I would need to purchase them again for her.

That would be a bit stupid as they could only be used by the purchaser and not the child!

Phil.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think that by making the xbox “my home” has solved that.   It’s interesting that apparently it should have been set to “home” when it was purchased but i’m sure I did’t change it!

Now, is it possible that the add-ons are not usable on other accounts because they are specificaly bought in a certain game so can only be used by the person who purchased them? [...] And the same may be true for the coins that came with the original purchase and can only be use by myself,so I would need to purchase them again for her.

Phil.

If you used your PC to redeem the codes and never signed in on an actual Xbox One console, your account wouldn't know which of these millions of Xbox One consoles should be your Home Console. 

Be aware that the "Home Console" sharing allows your account to designate one single console at one given time as your account's "Home Console". 

That "Home Console" will share all your purchased games, and most of the DLC content you have on your account to anyone playing on that specific "Home Console". 

Consumables, like Minecraft Coins can't be shared to consoles, and will always remain with the account that redeemed it, I'm afraid. :(

Also be aware, that you can only change the "Home Console" on your account five times during 365 days. So don't unnecessarily turn that setting off and on on your console, or switch your Home Console to a different console. 

Just to make sure you're aware of the sharing limitations:

All games you buy on your account, can be shared to the device you set as your Home Console (and thus your daughter playing on that Home Console).

However, some publishers can restrict the sharing of DLC content. So it might be, that your daughter can't play certain DLC content if you purchased it on your account. 

And finally, consumables like Minecraft Coins, Fortnite V-Bucks and the likes, can't be shared. So make sure that you buy your kid a currency gift card, so the kid can purchase such consumables on their own account. 

Did my post help you? Please click on "Yes" below or choose it as the answer to your problem. Thanks! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2023 Views 457 Applies to: