Can't add money to a child account

I'm trying to add money to a child microsft account so that my son can use it on his xbox.  I've done this several times without an issue but there's obviously a problem somewhere.

I select £10 and hit NEXT.  A screen the momentarily flashes up so quick you can't read it and then dissappears.  No matter what you do you just seem to go round in circles.

It took several attempts but I finally got a screen shot to see what the message was - "Please try again later.  Something went wrong, and we can't finish the process at the moment"

I've tried a couple of different browers but that didn't help.

I guess it's a micrsoft problem as I've not even got as far as selecting the payment card.

Anyone had the same problem or know of a solution?

Many Thanks

Hello Alan,

Thanks for coming to the forums with your issue. Have you tried to make the purchase on the console itself? If you continue to have problems we recommend to request a call back.

When you go to Contact Us to get it to request a callback follow these steps:

• Step 1 ----select Xbox One
  • Step 2 ----select see other options then subscription changes
  • Step 3-----select show contact options
  • Step 4 ----select request a call from support

Once they call explain the issue and they will be able to help you. Note that these options regularly change so just keep selecting something that gives request a call from support as a contact option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Brad
Xbox Forum Team

Stay safe have fun. GAME HARD just not too hard :) ಠ益ಠ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having the same problem. Did Brad or anybody else give you a solution? It happens to me from time to time, so it seems to be intermittent.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem at the moment too. I have tried to add funds via the website, which I have done on many occasions before, but keep getting the message "Please try again later.  Something went wrong, and we can't finish the process at the moment".

I have tried multiple PCs and multiple browsers, all resulting in the same issue.

I have not tried on the console yet as I don't have access to it until tomorrow. Can someone direct me to a help page on how to attempt that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Alan,

Sorry again for the issue with adding funds. I was able to find out it is a known issue and they are looking into it. As an ETA there isn't one. I will try to update as soon as I hear anything new.

Thanks,

Brad

Stay safe have fun. GAME HARD just not too hard :) ಠ益ಠ

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the replies.  Glad it's not just me.

I haven't got a solution but I did manage to find a "work around" - I bought an Xbox gift voucher online and then just redeemed the code.  It got me out of a hole but I wouldn't want to have to do it every time.

I hope this helps.

Alan.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you were able to find a workaround for the current known issue.

I recommend to please try to add money to your Childs Microsoft account. Try this:

• Go to account.microsoft.com/family and sign in with your Microsoft account.
  • Find your child’s name and select More options > Spending > Add money and follow the instructions.
  • Turn on Ask a parent to help avoid surprise spending when your child uses credit cards: Find their name, select Content restrictions, then switch Needs adult approval to buy things to On.

Try this and let us know the results.

Thanks for being a part of the Xbox Family.
Happy Gaming! ಠ‿ಠ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The voucher is a good idea for the future, if it happens again.

i’m pleased to say that the problem was resolved yesterday and i have been able to add funds via the normal method on the website.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Alan,

Sorry again for the issue with adding funds. I was able to find out it is a known issue and they are looking into it. As an ETA there isn't one. I will try to update as soon as I hear anything new.

Thanks,

Brad

I'm having this exact problem today, so it hasn't been resolved yet.. I just go around in circles when trying to add money to my sons account via the website. I follow the "add money" process but after selecting the amount I just end up back at the start of the process... frustrating, as I'm usually remote from where my son and his console are so trying to do it via the console isn't an option I can try quickly. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED...

I changed the permissions on my kid's account on our family account so that they can make a "purchase without permission". After that, they were able to buy V-bucks for Fortnite directly on the xbox console and i just had to enter my email and password and it went through. It was a little bit more cumbersome than the usual "add money" function that was formerly working when I logged on our MS account. I changed the permissions back so that he couldn't purchase on his own once the transaction was complete. This seems easier than purchasing a gift card like some people had suggested. 

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there, 

We will be locking this older thread due to it being revived by a new post. If the issue is on going, we recommend creating a new thread detailing the issue at hand and any troubleshooting steps (if any) you’ve tried so far. We will be more than happy to answer any questions. Thank you and happy gaming!  

Regards,
XBF Amber M
Microsoft Agent | Moderator
(๑•ᴗ•๑)♡
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2024 Views 9,443 Applies to: