Xbox Series X disc drive loud when disc in drive?

I haven't played my Series X in probably about a week or so. I went to play tonight and I noticed an abnormally loud noise when I turned it on. At first I thought it may be a fan issue so I hard reset the Xbox and pulled the power cord too for good measure. After performing a hard reset the noise persisted as soon as I turned the Xbox on. From there I kept trying to figure out what may be the issue. Finally I just pop the disc out and as soon as I did the noise stopped. The disc in question was the play disc from the Mass Effect Legendary edition. After that I tried re inserting the disc and the noise came right back. I tried to play the game and it gave me an error that said the disc needed to be inserted even thought it already was. So I did another hard reset and the noise was still there but this time it let me play the game at least. So I thought maybe its an issue with my disc so I popped in RE 8 and same thing, same noise. The noise will happen even if I'm not playing the game the disc is for. I opened up Smite while the Mass Effect disc was in and the noise was still there. Once I pop the disc out and play a digital game the noise doesn't happen. Its only when there is a physical disc in the drive. Its like a loud spinning noise, no vibration or anything. Kinda sounds like the fan is just spinning fast.

Difficult to say if it's a faulty drive or simply a loud drive....the drive on my One X was really loud (and it would make noises for a few minutes after I switched the console off) but never had issues with it.

However, given you have had one read error with it, I'd personally think it was faulty and look at getting it serviced/replaced. While one read error may simply be a one-off, I'd still be wary

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2021 Views 309 Applies to: