Xbox One X Dolby Atmos not working

I have an LG OLED B7P a Dennon 920 audio reciever all support Dolby Atmos.  When i set up the dolby atmos i get no sound out of the speakers.  It worked on the Xbox one S but not the X.  The dolby app lets me set it up but then it does not run either.  Anyone else having these problems?  I have changed all the HDMI's it is not the cables.  Help!!!!!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have Dolby Atmos problems too with Xbox One X, I  have an LG OLED 65E6P and a Marantz SR7009 receiver. My receiver clearly is getting an Atmos Signal but it’s got a distorted crackling sound. Kind of like when you’re having video connection issues with the screen flickering, except it’s happening with the sound with Dolby Atmos. I had this happen in the past when I first tried using Atmos with a PC a couple years ago to play Star Wars Battlefront the first Dolby Atmos compatible game and it was a cable issue, I was using to long of an HDMI cable, switched to a shorter one and it worked.

However this time I have tried 4 different cables and nothing works, I tried it months ago on an original Xbox One could not get it to work, and now the same thing is happening with my brand new Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition. I was hoping the problem would go away with the new Xbox One X, not happy that it doesn’t. It has the problem with both the Dolby Atmos app demos and when I booted up Gears of War 4, does the same thing, didn’t try a 4k Blu-ray but I assume it would have the same problem since everything else that outputs an Atmos signal seems to.

I have also tried using an HD Fury AVR Key which extracts the HDMI Audio so you can send the audio to an older non-HDCP2.2 receiver and HDCP2.2 video to the TV, since the Marantz SR7009 doesn’t support HDCP2.2 and I don’t feel like spending a couple grand getting the newest version that does when I can get this little AVR Key for $150.  It also doesn’t work; it does recognize the Atmos signal though, but still the same distorted crackling sound. The HDCP2.2 video to the TV works fine though, so it’s not a handshake issue like you get using non-HDCP2.2 hardware.

I have basically run out of things to try and must assume that it’s a firmware issue with the Xbox One or software issue on the Dolby Access side of things that make it incompatible with first generating Dolby Atmos receiver’s like the Marantz SR7009. It’s just weird because there are no error messages like I see a lot of other people having online saying there receiver is not Dolby Atmos capable when they are, it just seems to think everything is working, when it clearly isn’t.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

YES!

I have my Xbox One X connected via HDMI to my Samsung HW-K850 Atmos soundbar, which is connected via HDMI to my Samsung KU6290 UHD TV. For the life of me, I cannot get Atmos sound to work at all; There is zero sound when that option is selected in the One X's audio setup menu. In fact, I do get an error code when selecting the Atmos option (0x80bd0009), but the selection appear to "stick" if I back out of the audio setup screen, then go back in. But there's no sound at all from anything. And I've searched here and have found that others are reporting the same problem.

I contacted Microsoft support yesterday via chat, and after a long while, the advice given to me was to go into the VIDEO settings screen, and try selecting "HDMI" instead of "Autodetect" for the TV type. When I tried to change this setting, the xbox gave me a warning that some/all 4K features of my TV may not work or be reported to the xbox - And that's exactly what happened. I was reduced to 640x480 resolution AND still no Atmos sound output.

The other recommendation, was to try connecting my Xbox directly to my TV, then use a 2nd HDMI cable to connect the TV (via ARC) to my soundbar. The issue here, is that my TV doesn't output 5.1 or Atmos via ARC - it only does 2 channel PCM. So that was a no-go as well.

At this point, it is clear this is an XBOX communication issue with my soundbar. I know my soundbar can handle ATMOS; My Roku Ultra is able to send ATMOS to my soundbar just fine (I get the special blue LED indicator as added confirmation). I wonder if there is any way to elevate this to Microsoft support to get a fix included in a software update?

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same, LGB7V. X connected to the 1st HDMI port of the TV. I managed to get HDR working and DTS works along with Dolby Digital but  when I turn to Atmos bamm no sound. Fair enough that playing an atmos movie fthrough DLNA directly on the TV Atmos is picked up. I thought it was caused because I'm using the TV's atmos speakers directly but it seems like you guys are having the same issue with external speakers too. Interesting...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My Xbox One X is connected to my receiver. When I try to setup Atmos in the audio settings Xbox One X says that my receiver, Denon AVR-4300H, does not have Atmos capability. I am only allowed to choose DTS for the bitstream sound output. Atmos works fine with my Samsung 4K player so I know it is an Xbox One X issue.

The Dolby App does not give any error until I try to view the demo videos where it flashes, "you are not viewing this video on Dolby Atmos." It plays the demo video on DTS instead.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My Xbox One X is connected to my receiver. When I try to setup Atmos in the audio settings Xbox One X says that my receiver, Denon AVR-4300H, does not have Atmos capability. I am only allowed to choose DTS for the bitstream sound output. Atmos works fine with my Samsung 4K player so I know it is an Xbox One X issue.

The Dolby App does not give any error until I try to view the demo videos where it flashes, "you are not viewing this video on Dolby Atmos." It plays the demo video on DTS instead.

***UPDATE***

I finally got Dolby Atmos to work!!! Under  "Settings, Display & Sound, Volume, Setup TV & AV Control, Audio" I had to change the default "Stereo" setting to "Surround Sound." The Xbox One X had to reboot to accept/change the setting. Once it rebooted Dolby Atmos was working. It is interesting that the main control will be under the volume settings instead of audio output. You would think the system will be smart enough to activate surround sound when you are choosing Dolby Atmos to bitstream.

Hopefully this "difficult to find" change of setting will work for others who are having Dolby Atmos issues.

55 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have Dolby Atmos problems too with Xbox One X, I  have an LG OLED 65E6P and a Marantz SR7009 receiver. My receiver clearly is getting an Atmos Signal but it’s got a distorted crackling sound. Kind of like when you’re having video connection issues with the screen flickering, except it’s happening with the sound with Dolby Atmos. I had this happen in the past when I first tried using Atmos with a PC a couple years ago to play Star Wars Battlefront the first Dolby Atmos compatible game and it was a cable issue, I was using to long of an HDMI cable, switched to a shorter one and it worked.

However this time I have tried 4 different cables and nothing works, I tried it months ago on an original Xbox One could not get it to work, and now the same thing is happening with my brand new Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition. I was hoping the problem would go away with the new Xbox One X, not happy that it doesn’t. It has the problem with both the Dolby Atmos app demos and when I booted up Gears of War 4, does the same thing, didn’t try a 4k Blu-ray but I assume it would have the same problem since everything else that outputs an Atmos signal seems to.

I have also tried using an HD Fury AVR Key which extracts the HDMI Audio so you can send the audio to an older non-HDCP2.2 receiver and HDCP2.2 video to the TV, since the Marantz SR7009 doesn’t support HDCP2.2 and I don’t feel like spending a couple grand getting the newest version that does when I can get this little AVR Key for $150.  It also doesn’t work; it does recognize the Atmos signal though, but still the same distorted crackling sound. The HDCP2.2 video to the TV works fine though, so it’s not a handshake issue like you get using non-HDCP2.2 hardware.

I have basically run out of things to try and must assume that it’s a firmware issue with the Xbox One or software issue on the Dolby Access side of things that make it incompatible with first generating Dolby Atmos receiver’s like the Marantz SR7009. It’s just weird because there are no error messages like I see a lot of other people having online saying there receiver is not Dolby Atmos capable when they are, it just seems to think everything is working, when it clearly isn’t.

I was also getting the error "receiver is not Dolby Atmos capable." I finally got Atmos to work. See my other post on this thread.  Under "Settings, Display & Sound, Volume, Setup TV & AV Control, Audio" I had to change the default "Stereo" setting to "Surround Sound." The Xbox One X had to reboot to accept/change the setting. After this change Dolby Atmos was working. Not sure why this setting is under volume instead of audio output (or why its not automatic since Dolby Atmos is surround sound).

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem with mine.  I have the LG B7P set as well, with a Pioneer Elite VSX90 receiver. I have tried connecting equipment through the a/v receiver, and also directly into the tv with audio ARC passthrough back to the a/v receiver. Either way,  If I select Dolby Atmos in the Xbox menu, I get no sound at all - both with games like Assassin's Creed Origins (which is a Dolby Atoms game), and with 4K Bluray discs. In addition, with Bluray, even if I switch the Xbox back to its DTS mode, sometimes it will throughput DTS, but sometimes I can't get anything more than stereo. Another problem with Bluray is that some discs will not play at all, and some will play sound but only display a freeze frame picture.  In summary,  two problems: the Bluray Player App is clearly defective, and the Dolby Atmos does not work.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally got Dolby Atmos to work!!! Under  "Settings, Display & Sound, Volume, Setup TV & AV Control, Audio" I had to change the default "Stereo" setting to "Surround Sound." 

Interesting - I'll have to give this a shot once I get home and see if I can get it working - Thanks for the tip! I'll report back here with the results.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I changed the settings to "surround" and the system restarted. Upon restarting, I changed the audio setting to Atmos... And surprisingly, I was greeted with a new message, asking if I wanted to pass through Blu Ray audio to the receiver. It warned me that sound would only be output while the Blu Ray app was running and that no system sounds would be heard. Well, I didn't want that, so I chose "no" and proceeded eagerly to test with the Dolby app. I fired up the first video, and for a split second, the blue Atmos light on my sound bar lit up... Then it went away, and no sound was heard. No Xbox system sounds either. No number of tries to change the settings back and fourth seemed to get Atmos to work... So, I'm back where I started sadly. 

There was a system update, so I installed it and tried again. No luck this time either. Microsoft, you have a problem that needs addressing!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, I changed the settings to "surround" and the system restarted. Upon restarting, I changed the audio setting to Atmos... And surprisingly, I was greeted with a new message, asking if I wanted to pass through Blu Ray audio to the receiver. It warned me that sound would only be output while the Blu Ray app was running and that no system sounds would be heard. Well, I didn't want that, so I chose "no" and proceeded eagerly to test with the Dolby app. I fired up the first video, and for a split second, the blue Atmos light on my sound bar lit up... Then it went away, and no sound was heard. No Xbox system sounds either. No number of tries to change the settings back and fourth seemed to get Atmos to work... So, I'm back where I started sadly. 

There was a system update, so I installed it and tried again. No luck this time either. Microsoft, you have a problem that needs addressing!

***UPDATE***

In a last-ditch effort to get Atmos working last night (after taking bolshoishalopai's advice and changing the Audio setting to "Surround" in the "TV & AV Control" section), I decided to unplug my entire home theater system for an hour; the TV, xbox, soundbar - everything. And to be clear, before I shut everything down and unplugged it all, I made sure that the 'Atmos' setting had 'stuck', despite the error message that kept popping up. I also made sure that the passthrough option in Blu Ray disc settings was NOT checked.

After an hour, I plugged everything back in and powered it all on. To my amazement, I saw "ATMOS" flash across my soundbar's LED display. I still didn't hear any xbox navigation sounds or clicks - but I decided to try the Dolby Access app. AND IT WORKED! Stunned, I fired up Assassin's Creed: Origins, and there was ATMOS sound!

Now, I have not put the system through power ups/downs to see if it breaks - but for now - I have Atmos. My guess, is that unplugging everything for a lengthy period of time, allowed each component in the chain to have their memories cleared and allow a fresh set of HDMI handshakes?

Due to the ridiculous difficulty in getting this audio option to work, I'd still say Microsoft has a few kinks to work out, for sure.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2024 Views 20,897 Applies to: