Xbox One console update fails with System Error: E101 0000503 80070003 (offline update)

Hi All,

I am trying to update xbox one console which has not been used/updated in a while by doing an offline update and keep getting following error with OS1 or OS2 or reset to factory defaults files using a USB. All the support options seem to point to repair of the console. Wanted to seek help if possible to see if i am missing anything before going down the repair path. As soon as the offline update process starts at 0%, I am getting this. There are other errors also that I keep getting but thought this might be important one. Any suggestions/help in this regard is much appreciated. 

System Error: E101 0000503 80070003

Thank you

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.  Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.

Happy Gaming!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there

Have you tried the start up error trouble shooter?  

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/startup-error-solution

This does point to using the Offline System Update file OSU1 while plugged in to a PC via USB? 

Apologies if this has already been tried.  

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello PKIND!

I see you're going through the offline update process on the original xbox one. When you get the E 101 error, here is the steps to try and resolve that particular code.

Step 6: Perform an offline system update

To perform this update, you will need:

• A Windows-based PC with an Internet connection and a USB port.
  • A USB flash drive with a minimum 4 GB of space formatted as NTFS.

Most USB flash drives come formatted as FAT32 and will have to be reformatted to NTFS. Note that formatting a USB flash drive for this procedure will erase all files on it. Back up or transfer any files on your flash drive before you format the drive. For information about how to format a USB flash drive to NTFS using a PC, see How to format a flash drive to NTFS on Windows.

1. Plug your USB flash drive into a USB port on your computer.
  2. Open the Offline System Update file OSU
  3. Click Save to save the console update .zip file to your computer.
  4. Unzip the file. For all Windows OS versions, unzip the file by right-clicking on the file and selecting Extract all from the pop-up menu.
  5. Copy the $SystemUpdate file from the .zip file to your flash drive.
    Note The files should be copied to the root directory, and there shouldn't be any other files on the flash drive.
  6. Unplug the USB flash drive from your computer.

Plug the USB flash drive with the offline system update files into a USB port on your Xbox One console. When the flash drive is inserted, the Offline system update option on the Xbox Startup Troubleshooter becomes active. Use the D-pad  and A button  on your controller to select Offline system update to initiate the update using the files saved on your flash drive.

When the update is complete, the console will restart and you should be returned to the Home screen.

Note The console restart may take several minutes. If you were using a wired connection, plug your network cable back into the console. If you have never connected your console to the Internet, you will need to connect at least once during your system setup process.

OS updates require a 2 part update. You must download OUS2 first, install it. Then repeat the same steps for OSU1.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PKIND,

Thanks for reaching out to us in the forums with this issue. As previously recommended by the Ambassadors, the Xbox One Startup Error Solution can give you some great troubleshooting aimed directly at that "E" error code.  

Additionally, do you happen to be an Xbox Insider enrolled in our Preview Program? We recently has some preview console updates roll out for testing, and if you're enrolled to receive these preview builds on your console, then traditional troubleshooting of the issue will not work as intended. If this is the case, then your best bet is report this issue via the Insider's Hub app, either on your console or via a PC. Alternatively, you can also reach out to the Xbox Insider's Subreddit page to report this. All the reported information goes directly to the engineers so that they can get you sorted out and there may be some additional solutions on the subreddit for Insiders as well.

I hope this helps you out! Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
XBF Amber M
Microsoft Agent | Moderator
(๑•ᴗ•๑)♡
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for replying. Tried the same but didn't get lucky. I think the console is powering off in 4 seconds itself.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. Tried already without much luck. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply. I followed the same process. 10 days back I was lucky with OS2 but now it is not the case with what ever combination i try. (OS2 first and then OS1 or just the OS1 or the reverse or just OS2). Also, i tried resetting to factory defaults using the offline update or USB solution but that is also giving the same error. 

If i take a guess, there must be space problem going by the error message search on internet but i don't know how to clear space with console struck in the update after starting. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey buddy,

Try troubleshoot but using THIS link.

If this fails, I would reset my console by keeping your current games. This can be done by following THIS link.

XBOX Ambassador

Discord: ResuWreckt#5186
Twitter: Twitter.com/resuwreckt
Reddit: Reddit.com/u/ResuWreckt
Facebook: Facebook.com/resuwreckt
Instagram: Instagram.com/resuwreckt

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All,

I am trying to update xbox one console which has not been used/updated in a while by doing an offline update and keep getting following error with OS1 or OS2 or reset to factory defaults files using a USB. All the support options seem to point to repair of the console. Wanted to seek help if possible to see if i am missing anything before going down the repair path. As soon as the offline update process starts at 0%, I am getting this. There are other errors also that I keep getting but thought this might be important one. Any suggestions/help in this regard is much appreciated. 

System Error: E101 0000503 80070003

Thank you

Hey buddy , sorry to hear . But your not alone . I have been and STILL am having major problems with my 6month old XBOX one X . And it only got worse once it got back from Xbox repair . Now i have to arrange to go into the store to try and get a replacement Xbox as ive had it with this POS.
If you have a DEV build the OSU files wont work from what im told .
So if you cant reset it to factory and get in ( wait for 10 mins on black screen for at least before you might see the dashboard) than it would more than likely be a dodgy OS/HDD . And needs replacing .
Seems they might of used the worst brand possible by the looks of it because of all the faults. Its no wonder they are selling SSD upgrades for them , and rightly so they should be of had in the first place. 

I hope your in warranty also cause thats your best bet out of this. 

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The offline method should solve the issue > https://support.xbox.com/xbox-one/console/system-updates-solution

Regards,

Wishcatcher
Xbox Ambassador since 2013

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 13, 2020 Views 7,347 Applies to: