Xbox Mobile App Messages Workaround

If you're experiencing issues with Xbox Messages not loading in your mobile Xbox app, here's a workaround you may want to try.

Workaround

Clean up your Messages history via your console or on the Xbox Live website (https://account.xbox.com/en-US/Social).

Background Story

I realized I needed to remove a lot of super old outdated message threads (aka "chats") with players I don't even follow today. But I found no option to "Delete" several of them since there were no messages inside the threads. It turns out that Microsoft emptied out old message threads when they upgraded their Xbox Messages system. I remember getting a warning / notification about this a couple of months ago but I did not clean up my Messages history then. Well, it turns out that as part of that process, Microsoft still left the empty threads (aka "chats") behind, taking up unnecessary space, which I guess the Xbox mobile apps were not programmed to handle.

So on the console, I found the following cleanup process the most convenient, at least in my case:

1. Move old empty threads (aka "chats") you need to delete by clicking "Move to message requests" (since no Delete option is available)

2. Go to "Message requests"

3. Highlight each empty thread under "Message requests" and click X to "Clear chat"

Discussion Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 367 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Awesome thanks for the advice
good advice
Thanks for the advice, I usually have issues loading messages on the app
Thanks for the tip, I uninstalled the app a while ago because everytime I tried to download clips my phone overheated a lot, hope that is fixed
Game hard, game for fun
GT: k1Helix z
Cheers for the info. I will try this later 👍

I have never had an issue with the app but I am quite on it with messages and often go through deleting them so that could be why and would seem to back up your suggestion.

Good one for posting as it may help a few people having issues 

Video games you say, your hobby, really??
Damn straight yes, I go on planets, fight aliens, kill dragons, rescue the oppressed, make friends around the world. You go to the gym!!
cheers for the good advice :)

Wow! Thanks for this guide. I have seen many posts relating to this issue

Thank you so much for this information! I had this problem.
Xbox Ambassador | Insider Beta Ring | Content Creator, Tester and Scout at 020games
Thanks for the advice! I don't remember experiencing much issues with messages on the app, but if I do then I'll know where to go.