XBox Live Account

My child has been playing on our primary xBox account, however, I need him to not have access to our payment options. I know I can't transfer his gold account to mine. What is the best way to allow him to keep his username and game stats, but not be the owner of our live account?

I was thinking doing the gold account under my account and then I would delete the live account from his profile. If I do this will he still keep all of his stats and profile on his online games even with the live account coming from a different profile on the xbox?

I know we are doing this all backwards. I did set up profiles for the kids, but they kept using my husband's account and now they have built up a profile for themselves that I would prefer they not have to change. 

Hi SiebS,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will be glad to assist. These types of situations and questions are common as our children grow and slowly they get the hang of how to make purchases.

What I recommend is to create a new account where you can have the Xbox Live Gold subscription on and set that as the Home Console which that would share the gold subscription to your child's account without your child having your payment information under their account.

Also, another thing available is creating a passkey under the account your child uses and where the Xbox Live Gold subscription is at. This will require a passkey for purchases which only you guys (the parents) would have. 

I hope this helps let us know.

Best wishes,
-L ᕦ {≷• ܫ•≶}ᕤ

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My child has been playing on our primary xBox account, however, I need him to not have access to our payment options. I know I can't transfer his gold account to mine. What is the best way to allow him to keep his username and game stats, but not be the owner of our live account?

I was thinking doing the gold account under my account and then I would delete the live account from his profile.

You could try to move the Gamertag that is attached to your husband's email to a different email that belongs to your kid, however, when you remove the husband's email from the Gamertag, your Husband will lose access to the other Microsoft Services that might be used on that account, like Outlook email and Calendar if it's a Hotmail.com, Outlook.com or Live.com email. If it's a third party email like Gmail or Yahoo or the likes, the emails are safe. 

However services like OneDrive, ToDo lists etc. that Microsoft offers as well, will be deleted. 

Generally I advise against giving kids access to the parent account at all, as the kid is then regarded to be a full grown adult with "all access rights". 

So even if you move the payment option for the Gold subscription to another account, the kid is still able to play adult oriented games, talk to internet strangers etc. 

And since they use the parent's Microsoft account, they also have access to the parent's email, OneDrive data, calendar and whatever other Microsoft Services the parent uses. 

But depending on how critical it is that the kid has more or less limited access to the parent account or just the payment option try this, if you want the kid to keep their gaming progress: 

If you want the kid to use their own email address, sign in with the husband's account under https://account.live.com/names/Manage and add the kid's email as a sign in alias. 

Then set the kids email as the primary sign in email. 

Now you get to choose: if your husband does NOT use Microsoft services like OneDrive, and does NOT have an Outlook.com, Live.com or Hotmail.com email, or if he's okay with losing his data because the email was just used for spam, you can then remove your husband's email from the list of aliases. 

After you removed the husbands email (or created a new email for the husband if the kid has to keep the husband's alias), you can sign in with the kid's account (the husband's ex-account) under https://account.microsoft.com/services/ and cancel the Xbox Live Gold membership. 

Depending on how long the subscription takes to renew (e.g. you chose an annual payment, and the next renewal is several months away, or you chose a monthly payment and the next renewal is in a few days), you can either choose to cancel the next renewal cycle and wait until Gold ran out, or cancel it immediately. 

If no other subscriptions like EA Access or Game Pass are on the card, you can then go to https://account.microsoft.com/billing/payments and remove the Credit Card. Remember that you can only remember a card if there is no active subscription on the card. 

So even if you cancelled the next renewal cycle, as long as the Gold membership is still active until the next renewal, you can't remove the card yet. 

After you successfully removed the card, sign out of the kid's (husband's ex-)account and sign into the husband's newly created account, or have them re-use their old email if it has been removed as a sign in alias. 

Add the credit card to the new account, and buy the Gold subscription again. 

Then download the new husband's account to the console and secure it with a passkey as explained in the link by XBF Leslie D above. 

With the husband's new account go to the console settings, and under Personalization set the console as that account's "Home Console". 

That way, the Gold membership is shared to that console, and EVERYONE playing on that console will benefit from the Gold membership to play online Multiplayer and participate in Chat Parties. 

Did my post help you? Please click on "Yes" below or choose it as the answer to your problem. Thanks! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

What you described above is exactly what I am trying to do. My son has an email that is already linked as my "child" if I remove that and change the account to his email as the primary alias and then remove mine, will I then be able to add him back to my Microsoft account as my child, now with my old gamertag as his (so he can keep all his stats and such)?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yea it should work, if you have any problems reach out to support. 
Joc Holliday Slayer King Founder

·

Sorry this didn't help.

...My son has an email that is already linked as my "child" if I remove that and change the account to his email as the primary alias and then remove mine, will I then be able to add him back to my Microsoft account as my child, now with my old gamertag as his (so he can keep all his stats and such)?

As I described above, be aware that if you remove a sign in alias from a Microsoft Account, that Microsoft Account gets DELETED!

If your "parent" email is a Gmail or Yahoo or other third party email, that's not a problem, as the Microsoft Account "only" is a username that looks like an email. And if you didn't use any other Microsoft services like OneDrive and the likes, the account deletion is not a problem. 

However, if your parent Microsoft Account is a Microsoft service email like "live.com", "outlook.com", "Hotmail.com" or the country equivalents like "Hotmail.co.uk" or something, then be aware that removing that Microsoft Account from your son's account will delete everything from that account, and you'll basically creating a new and empty parent account!

Did my post help you? Please click on "Yes" below or choose it as the answer to your problem. Thanks! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

Sorry this didn't help.

Xox live gold 🥇

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. We will be locking this thread due to it being revived by a new post. If there are any questions, discussions or issues that anyone would like to bring to our attention, please create a new thread. We will be more than happy to answer any questions or provide solutions for any issues. Thank you again and happy gaming!

\(^ω^\)

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2020 Views 581 Applies to: