Xbox Game Bar social tab (friends list) not working

4 days a week for well over year I play Halo: MCC with my friends. I play on PC and they play on Xbox console. I have used to Xbox game bar app along with my Xbox account to use the party chat feature. It has had its mishaps, but haven't had any major problems. Now 3 days ago when I open the Xbox game bar all I get is "We can't show your friends right now. Try again in a bit." Same message for 3 days now.

I have not changed anything on my PC

I have not downloaded anything

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game bar

I have tried the advanced settings repair/reset

I have tried downloading the basic Xbox app but that doesn't work either (try to sign in, the app turns white, and resets to the home screen with nothing showing)

I have tried EVERYTHING

I just want to party chat with my friends like I have a million times before!

Hello BJ_551,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Based on the description, your Xbox game bar in your Windows PC is not working. Let us check and see on what we can do to help resolve your concern in a timely manner.

It is possible that your Windows is outdated or there are applications that are corrupted or needs an update. Let us perform some troubleshooting steps to help resolve the issue.

For the meantime, here are the troubleshooting steps that we can perform.

1. Make sure Windows is up to date.

• Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.

• On Windows 10, select Update & Security. On Windows 11, select Windows Update.

• On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates to see if any updates are available

including optional updates for your device.

• Once the updates have downloaded, select Install now to start the installation.

• Following installation, we recommend that you restart your device so that the latest updates can take effect.

2.  Make sure Xbox app is up to date.

• Press the Start button on the taskbar, type store, and open the Microsoft Store app.

• Select Library.

• Under Updates & downloads, check if there is any updates available for the Xbox app. If an update is available, select Update.

3.  Make sure you are signed in to the Xbox app and the Store with the same account.

> To make sure your permissions for the game can be validated, be sure to sign in to both the Store and the Xbox app using the same account that was used to purchase the game.

4. Uninstall and reinstall Gaming Services

• Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.

• In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

• In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:
    start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

• Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.

• Restart your device and try to install the game again.

For your reference, see: Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Tomm_A

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello BJ_551,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume your problem has been solved. We won't be monitoring this topic going forward, so if you need more help, please create a new topic to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com).

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Tomm_A

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Xbox Game Bar has unfortunately been an afterthought for years. I still have issues with it not showing the correct status (the game I'm playing), I don't think they will ever actually fix that.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 11,691 Applies to: