Xbox Game Bar for PC keeps crashing a lot after the most recent update

Hello everyone, 

I just recently reset my Windows 10 because I had a lot of issues with the Game Bar app and thought that would help and keep it from crashing frequently. It did kinda fix the problem in a way that I was finally able to join game and chat party consistently with very few crashes, but after the most recent update from yesterday, the app is almost unusable and I suspect it's also causing me to disconnect from the game (Forza Horizon 4).

Windows version: v1903 (18362.295)

Xbox Game Bar version: 3.32.29001.0

Basically what happens is that every time I open the app either through controller or Win+G keys, app crashes. It works on the second attempt, so I can try and join the group party/chat, but if I bring it up again, it will crash. Over and over again. I'm also randomly getting disconnected from the group call and have a lot of problems joining, it keeps reporting an error with my network but everything seems to work fine. Only after I try to join like 20+ times will I get in. In that process, Xbox Game Bar app would crash every second time and make it a horrible experience to even use. 

Is there any way I can revert to an older version of the app? Or is there some other workaround I could try to fix it? Everything I've read online so far hasn't helped me at all, resetting the app doesn't fix the problem at all. 

Thanks.

Try reinstall the Update

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ricardo. How exactly can I reinstall the app? Uninstall button is greyed out and I only have three options: Terminate, Repair & Reset. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometimes it locks up when giving the Windows+G command.

You can bring it up directly it settings and that should fix it.

No gods or kings, only men.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometimes it locks up when giving the Windows+G command.

You can bring it up directly it settings and that should fix it.

Unfortunately it happens all the time, it doesn't matter what I bring it up with. However, it looks like Repairing the app fixed the problem for now. I'll update the thread if it starts happening again soon.

Thanks for all the responses!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issues right now on November 04 2019, all recently updated after a fresh Windows 10 install, It crashes randomly. Sometimes It creates a crashdump file, sometimes not, but always Is recorded on Event Viewer. I thouht even is a hardware issue because Gears 5 also crashed. I raised my SOC Voltage on BIOS up to 1.15 V with offset of 0.075 V to get my system full stable, but the app still crashes.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Soldier,

Thank you for posting here on the Xbox forums. This thread is a bit old, so it will be locked due to its age. If you require support, or would like to start a discussion, please create a new thread. We will be happy to help you there!

Thanks again

Happy Gaming!
Chris ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2023 Views 312 Applies to: