Xbox Family Sharing Conumdrum causing me headaches. Looking for a workable solution.

I have been hitting my head against a brickwall over this issue, trawling through forums and google looking for answers and have so far come up a balnk.

This all started out so simple. We got my two kids an Xbox one X for Christmas. I set up a Microsoft Family Account where I am the Organiser, and two kids each have their own account. As the Organiser, I have the Xbox Live Gold & Xbox Gamepass Subscription (which has since been upgraded to a Gamepass Ultimate when the initial 3-months ran out).

With that setup, both of kids have been able to play games that anyone has purchased on the console, since they are all on the same device. However, with the "every is now stuck at home" thing going on, and to preserve some sanity for the school holidays, I bought a second Xbox One X console so that both kids could play at the same time, and for various games actually play against each other.

This has exposed what I consider to be a pretty poor design for Family Sharing. 

What do I mean? Well, Apple Family Sharing - any member of the family buys anything, and all members in the family can install it and use it on their devices. It doesn't matter who signs into any device that is part of he family sharing. It is totally seamless and it just works.

Microsoft Family setup: I don't even know where to start. I own the Xbox Subscription as the paying parent. I have to set one of the Consoles as my "Home Console". Anything I purchase on there can be played by anyone on that device, but on the other console the games that I purchased can only be played if I am signed into that box (which then logs me out of the other boxes - unlike Apple where I can be signed into all my devices with the same account all the time). To complicate matters further, each of kids has purchased some games under their own accounts using gift cards etc, so as best I can figure, the kids now also have a "Home Console".

What I want to have happen is EVERYONE in the Family to be able to log into ANY console and to play ANY game that has been purchased in the family.

• What do I need to do to make this happen?
  • Does each person in the family need to have their Gamepass Ultimate Subscription?
  • How does this work with games or addons that are purchased outright by a particular person in the family? Should I just ensure that only my account makes purchases, and not permit the kids to buy anything through their accounts (even though I am still the one paying for it and granting permission)? For example, one of my kid purhased an Add-On for Forza Horizons 4, and my other kid tried to play it on the second console and it wouldn't work until the first kid signed in (which then logged him out of the other console).

So, what does everyone else do to solve this ridiculous mess? I know that with Xbox Live Gold you can share purchased games, but I don't particularly care whether this is the case or not. If it means I need multiple subscriptions or have to buy multiple copies of games to give a totally seamless user experience, then that is what I will do. I just can't find any instructions on how to do this. For example, what subscription would I need for each account?  

I also hate to admit this, but I work in I.T. on some pretty complicated setups, but this implementation of Family Sharing seems very poorly thought out. I hate to think what it looks like if I decide to add another console for myself!

UPDATE: I think I need to rephrase the question based on the feedback below.

Q: I have Two Consoles (lets call them Console1 and Console2). I have two Kids, Child1 and Child2. I have an Xbox Gamepass Ultimate Subscription with my account, Parent1.

What do I need to do from a setup and Subscriptions point of view to allow any child to play on any Console.

My initial thoughts:-

Child1 uses Console1, but has their Home Console set at Console2

Child2 uses Console2, but has their Home Console set as Console1

Parent1 (me) will use Console2, because it's plugged into the Tv that I use when the kids are in bed. If I buy games for myself, it's unlikely the kids can play them anyway due to Content Restrictions I have set on their accounts

From a Subscriptions point of view, I have my Gamepass Ultimate so I am set. Do both my kids need their own Gamepass/Xbox Live Gold or Ultimate Subscription on their accounts as well? Does this sound viable? 

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Xbox Newbie & Struggling I.T Support Dad

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, Paul!

All content bought with the main account (yours, since it's your home xbox) will work for every user on the same console. The content that your kids bought under their account will only work if they are logged into these accounts. For example, one of your kids bought Minecraft with his account that isn't the home xbox, so in order to access the game he must be logged in but any other account won't be able to play it.

So every content bought under accounts that aren't the main account on that xbox can't access it.

I hope it helps,

Felipe.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

You pretty much have the gist of how the Game Sharing (Home Xbox) works.

Let me see if I can make it a little simpler for you. 

No matter what console a profile/account is signed into it will always be able to play its digital games and use any of its subscriptions. 

Each Profile can set one console at a time as their home xbox and any other profile can then play that profiles digital games and use any of its subscriptions without that profile being signed in at the same time. 

Each profile can switch which console is set as its home console ONLY FIVE times a year. This is on a rolling schedule from the date that the first home xbox was setup not a calendar year. 

So in your situation: 

Your account has the subscriptions and some of the game purchases.

Whichever console you have set as your profiles home console your sons can play your games and use your subscriptions without you being signed in. 

On any other console your account would have to be signed in at the same time in order for them to play your games or use your subscriptions. The thing with this is that you can only be signed into one Xbox One console at a time. (this would not affect your Home console because you do not have to be signed in there for them to play your games). So theoretically one son could be playing one of your games on the home console without you being signed in and if the other son wants to play one of your games on the NON-Home Box they would need to sign in your account first then switch accounts to their account. 

As far as the Forza 4 Situation goes If the son that owns the add-ons makes the console that his brother wants to play on as his home console then the brother that does not own the game and add-ons wants to play them he can but again only on the home Xbox of the brother that owns the add-ons other wise we are back to the owner having to be signed in at the same time situation. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks,

I think I understand the home console concept. What I don't understand is how Xbox Live Gold helps the sharing situation, or how a Family Account is of any use at all. 

What I could so with the Consoles is as you suggest and make the Home Console of Child 1 the Console and that Child 2 uses (and vice versa), and that should solve the issue of each of them playing games they each purchased on either console. The issue is that I am the one with the Xbox Gamepass Ultimate Subscription, hence I am the only one who can install the games (from Game Pass), unless the kids decide to buy a game outright under their own accounts.

It sounds like what I need to do is buy at least one of the kids an Xbox Ultimate Subscription, plus the current separate one for myself. I can then designate the second console as my Home Console and that is where I can install games that I don't want the kids playing? That might be workable as we haven't gone too far down the rabbit hole yet, but my elder son wants to buy a few games to own so I want to sort that out before it gets too complicated.

At the moment, on the second console, I just sign on my account and my son can play all the game there, and the first console is my home console. That seems to work because when both kids are playing games, I obviously can't be playing one as well. I have also created a secondary account for myself so I install all the games under my master account, but I play using a different account. That way I can use either console without it signing out the account that owns the installations. It's messy, but it seems to work.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do understand were your coming from . I do think Microsoft need to bring some sort of family subscription back. 

Or work it that along as the xboxs are all in same house / ip address , and they are on family,  then they should be able to share 🤔

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The idea of the family account, is so that you can control the content and material, that you my not want them to access. You can also set it so that they can not purchase unless you authorise it. It's not for sharing content. You do understand the home Xbox feature, yes it has limitations but it was designed with for Xbox per household. It would be nice to see all Xbox on the same network being able to share. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That's why it's so confusing. I'm not fussed whether I can share the content or not (in terms of paying for it). All I want is for any person in the house to be able to play whatever is installed on any Xbox in the house. If it means I have to buy multiple subscriptions, I can deal with that. But I assume that would mean I need mutiple accounts because you can't subscribe to the same thing twice under on account.

I don't think that is too much to ask.

A Famly Subscription would be ideal to stop all this uncessary mucking around with "Home Consoles".  

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 8, 2023 Views 721 Applies to: