xbox app / Windows 10 stream resolution

Hi, I believe this post belongs here. I have 30 inch dell ultrasharp monitor. When I play my xbox one on this monitor via, the resolution and screen size is fine. The xbox one fills the monitor completely....screen size that is. When I start to stream to my pc using this same monitor, there are black bars on top and bottom of screen while streaming. I have been through all the resolutions and cannot seem to fix this issue. Please Help!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

When you say you've been through all the resolutions, do you mean on the Xbox App or the monitor?

If monitor, then please open the Xbox App and go to Settings then Game Streaming and change the resolution there.

If you have already tried that, are there settings you can change on the monitor that might help?

Let us know how you get on.

Xbox Forums moderator. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It is possible your monitor may be stretching the picture from the Xbox which is likely sending 1080p.  You could check your monitor's display settings.  It is often called "fill" or "full" mode.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried changing the resolution in the display settings and also the aspect ratio in the monitor settings. What is confusing me is that when the xbox is connected to the monitor via HDMI, screen resolution is perfect, no black bars, all is great, but when you try and stream to a pc that is connected to that same monitor, you get the black bars. So to me it seems like the stream is changing something.

Stream resolution is on high to.

Overall I don't think that when you maximize the stream window, if the monitor is bigger that 24", you are going to have sort of problem.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At least some of the Dell 30" displays are 16:10 (rather than 16:9).  16:9 is standard for TV/Video and is what your Xbox One outputs.  The display can then scale this image by stretching it to fill the screen, which is possibly what may be happening in your case.

When you attach your PC to this same display, the PC sees the entire pixel space (in 16:10 aspect ratio).  When you maximize an app, Windows then scales the apps to fill all the pixels.  The Xbox app's video from game streaming  gets scaled proportionally (and most other video apps do the same), and if the display is not 16:9 but 16:10, you end up seeing black bars on the top and bottom.

Do you happen to know the screen resolution of your monitor?  This would help determine if you have a 16:9 or 16:10 display.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My stream to PC just started doing this for no reason. I haven't found a fix yet. a week ago I was stream from xbox to pc the stream would fill the whole PC screen now the xbox app fills the screen but then puts the stream into a letter box type format and stretches the picture the width of the screen but not the height.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok for some reason my xbox was detecting the change of display through the stream? once I started streaming I went to settings while stream on my xbox one which for some reason had changed. I selected HDMI and then the resolution selection was now available again to go back to 1080p

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My surface pro 3 use to stream in full screen until June of 2016 and now it will only display in letterbox format. I use the recommended resolution on the surface. Ive tried adjusting the resolution but it don't seem to change it. I even tried the post above mine and still didn't do anything. Anybody have any other thoughts??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey zeroregret75,

I saw you submitted feedback on this issue and I've also forwarded it to the development team to investigate.

Thanks!

~Hammer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there people I'll recommend you a weird solution if that letterbox appeared .Turn streaming off ,go to your tv and turn it on , and after you see the xbox display on your tv go back to your pc and start streaming . This worked for me everytime I tried. See if it works for you

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there people I'll recommend you a weird solution if that letterbox appeared .Turn streaming off ,go to your tv and turn it on , and after you see the xbox display on your tv go back to your pc and start streaming . This worked for me everytime I tried. See if it works for you

I'm having this issue as well, and DOBLEPENETRATOR 's quick fix is still the only solution (that or just leave the TV on), almost a year later? What is the average turn around time for bug fixes on here?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2023 Views 12,169 Applies to: