xbox 360 slim max supported capacity for hard drives?

my old old faithful xbox 360 finally gave up the ghost after years of loyal service on Saturday night when I was greeted with the red ring of death so I ran to the shop,s on sunday & bought a 2nd hand 4gb xbox 360 slim in top condition from a games store & also a 500gb internal drive.

got home & set up the new console but after placing the hard drive inside & switching on it did not show up, thinking it was possibly damaged I ran to a different shop & bought a 320gb hd biggest they had in stock but again the drive when placed inside the console does not show up in storage & both times with the 500gb & 320gb were missing & only the 4gb internal memory was labelled as storage.

then for what ever reason I thought about using the connections from my laptops external backup caddy & both the 500gb & 320gb hd's show up as external usb storage devices & will format with no problems. it popped into my head that the problem could then be with the console not picking up internal drives.

to check this I went to my nephews & both the 320gb & 500gb hard drives both show in his xbox as internal hard drives but his current 120gb drive also shows up as a hard drive when I installed it in my xbox so bang went the theory that the xbox itself was possibly damaged & not able to pick up internal drives.

this got me thinking if both the 320gb & 500gb hard drives are working in a different machine & a 120gb drive works in my machine could it be that not all xbox 360 slim models will support the bigger internal drives?

I know the most common drives are the 250gb so was wondering if some xbox 360 slim only support up to a max of 250gb & perhaps limited edition or later models than mine only have the software to support the bigger hard drives, is this possible?

can somebody please confirm or deny this theory or suggest a reason why some drive wont show up in my machine but will in others yet other drives will show up in my machine. im baffled.

Hey there, Blocky!

I'm sorry to see any storage issues! All 360 S/E models should be supporting the 500GB internal hard drives, so this is an odd situation. It sounds kind of like the system hasn't updated to where it has the operating system that allows for this. Could this be the case?

If you're sure that the console is fully updated, try out the USB updates listed on our Xbox 360 Updates support article. That will at least verify you've got the proper update.

I would still lean towards a bad console if that doesn't work. The hard drives seem to be fine, based on the troubleshooting you've done by yourself. I suggest taking it back to the retailer to see if they can swap it out.

Let me know how it goes! I'm happy to help further if you run into any snags. :)

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines and if you're a member of the Xbox Insider Program, check out the Xbox Insider Program Forums for help with Insider Program troubleshooting. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

hi, very sorry for the delay in getting back to you, i was having problems with laptop when usb port shorted out & damaged the mother board, had to reinstall windows 7 but then started getting problems with the new installation of windows & found usb ports arnt working, took days to find the problem but basically if i use anything more powerful than a wireless mouse in the usb ports it instantly trips out & my mother board kills all power to the usb ports & card readers will stop working, apparently my toshiba laptop has been know for this problem but mine only went faulty after 5 years of use so cant complain to much i guess. found away round it by using a usb multi port thats powered by its own supply instead of from the usb ports on laptop.

anyway.

tried to update xbox using usb & then by cd as recommended on the link you supplied but with no luck, spoke to the shop i got it from & they said that unless its clearly got a fault they cant really do anything to help, this wasnt the kind of brush off i was expecting though as i was even urged to purposely sabotage the xbox so it would show so kind of physical fault, there suggestion was to damage the either net connection & return it for an exchange at least that way they can label it as having faulty connector & resell it as such. but we tried a few hard drives in it & it will support everything up to 250gb internal hard drive which im happy with, so rather than damage the xbox they gave me a free 250gb hard drive for free for the hassle. 

out of curiosity is there a way to check which updates is installed? will formatting the 4gb internal storage erase any previous updates, just incase it has been previously updated but the update didnt install correctly or has been corrupted somehow & now the xbox has defaulted to its default software supporting up to 250gb hard drives without the updates installed.

either way it doesnt really bother me now, it supports up to 250gb & ive got loads of external drives & caddys that i can use for more storage when needed. but thanks for you help in this matter.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

out of curiosity is there a way to check which updates is installed? will formatting the 4gb internal storage erase any previous updates, just incase it has been previously updated but the update didnt install correctly or has been corrupted somehow & now the xbox has defaulted to its default software supporting up to 250gb hard drives without the updates installed.

either way it doesnt really bother me now, it supports up to 250gb & ive got loads of external drives & caddys that i can use for more storage when needed. but thanks for you help in this matter.

No worries on the delay! I understand life happens. ;)

You can see what update you are on on the Xbox 360 by going to Settings > System > Console settings > highlight System Info. You should see the Dashboard listed as 2.0.17511.0. That'll let you know if you're on the current one. If that's not showing there, you can force a roll back by going to Settings > System > Storage, then doing the button sequence (in order, not at the same time) LB RB X LB RB X. That will prompt you to uninstall the update, then restart your console and try again.

If that doesn't help with the 500GB hard drive, you do have the silver lining of having the 250GB drives! But please do keep me updated. :)

--------------------------------------

Xbox Forums Staff

Be sure to check out the Xbox Forum Guidelines and if you're a member of the Xbox Insider Program, check out the Xbox Insider Program Forums for help with Insider Program troubleshooting. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2023 Views 3,315 Applies to: