Xbox 360 Internet Explorer almost unuseable

I've just acquired an XBOX 360, unused and straight out of the box (yes it's been on the shelves a while!). I'm finding a number of issues. One of the worst is the browser. I'm getting continual website certificate validation errors on virtually any site (including microsoft sites). It also tells me I need to 'enable javascript' to view content. I can see no way to do that. Is the browser fixable? Or do i take it that the browser no longer functions?

There's other issues I'll ask about in another post

I assune these issues woule be common since its an older system but im not sure if its able to be fixed 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Internet Explorer is so old and out of date that most websites no longer support it, as its on the 360 it will never be replaced with edge or newer.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I'm not sure what you're expecting here. The browser for the Xbox 360 was released way back in 2012. In web browsing technology terms the browser isn't just old, it's positively ancient. It's only Internet Explorer 10 if I remember rightly. It was so late in the 350's life cycle there wasn't a lot they could do with upgrading it either.

Websites have moved on with far more HTL5 content now. Content that the Xbox 360 browser just doesn't support. I'm not even sure how much RAM the browser can utilise from the Xbox 360's small (by today's standards) 512MB. 

However, to get a new completely unused console is quite a feat. Just don't expect much for the media content anymore. You're better off using a Smart TV or an Amazon Fire Stick for that stuff now.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That is amazing that you found a new one. It has been awhile since I have used my 360, and even when I did I didn't use it for surfing the web. Did the console get an update when you started using it? The version of the console software available here is from November 12, 2019.  There is an article within the support pages that covers this browser. https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/xbox-360/apps/internet-explorer-help,  I don't want to get your hopes up but I do want to give you options to try just in case a resolution is possible. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Even updating the console to the latest version will not get that browser to work, there is some other browsers downloadable i think but not 100% sure on that.

Sorry this didn't help.

unfortunately, with time and age the xbox 360 isn't able to keep up with all the new tech advancements. nothing can help it unfortunately 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 26, 2020 Views 84 Applies to: