Xbox 360 Controller doesn't know when to charge

So for some time now, my Xbox 360 controller has been struggling to charge. I can't get it to charge. Even when I make sure I have the Play and Charge Kit firmly connected to the controller and the console, it's not enough. No, I have to move the [Mod Removed - Profanity] charger around and hope to God I find a position where the controller can constantly charge without interference. And that could take even half an hour, because the [Mod Removed - Profanity] controller doesn't know when it wants to charge. I just want to play something. I don't know what the problem is, but I'm too broke to buy a new charger or a battery pack. I need assistance.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Battery packs don't last forever, unfortunately. The controllers do take regular batteries as well though. :)
Xbox Ambassador and CC | Xbox Ambassador Discord mod

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Battery packs don't last forever, unfortunately. The controllers do take regular batteries as well though. :)

But what type of batteries? Before you say AA batteries, I have dozens of those and not one of them fits into the controller at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Mario5onicFan17,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. Are you using the rechargeable battery pack or batteries? We have a support article on our website regarding the rechargeable battery pack not being able to charge. This will help determine if the issue is with the hardware. Be sure to let us know the results!

\(^ω^\)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They are actually AA, but you need the back cover that came with the controller. :/

It holds the batteries and then you insert that pack on the controller like you would with the recharge one. 

This: https://www.amazon.com/Trenro-Black-Battery-Wireless-Controller/dp/B07FP18423/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=xbox+360+battery+pack&qid=1562521277&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Xbox Ambassador and CC | Xbox Ambassador Discord mod

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

They are actually AA, but you need the back cover that came with the controller. :/

It holds the batteries and then you insert that pack on the controller like you would with the recharge one. 

This: https://www.amazon.com/Trenro-Black-Battery-Wireless-Controller/dp/B07FP18423/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=xbox+360+battery+pack&qid=1562521277&s=gateway&sr=8-8

There doesn't seem to be a way I can remove the batteries. I think the battery pack is designed like that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Mario5onicFan17,

Thank you for posting on the Xbox forums. Are you using the rechargeable battery pack or batteries? We have a support article on our website regarding the rechargeable battery pack not being able to charge. This will help determine if the issue is with the hardware. Be sure to let us know the results!

Rechargable Battery Pack.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might just need to get a new charger cable

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might just need to get a new charger cable
Where can I get those?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the exact cover you need. It came with the 360 controller and usually has a small piece of paper in it. You replaced it with the Charge and Play Kit. Its easy to accidentally throw away, so I'd check out the Amazon link like blueamcat suggested.

Just call me Yami.

I spend most of my free time playing games, across multiple platforms. I just love spreading the joy of gaming no matter the system or publisher.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know if it's the perspective of the photo, but the charging cable looks pretty bent at the connector. Maybe the leads inside the cable are broken due to the extreme angle. 

Also, depending on how old the battery pack is: usually batteries have a lifetime of roughly 1000 charging cycles.  So be aware that batteries are parts that wear out. You need to get new rechargeable batteries eventually. 

And as for your problem with the standard AA batteries not fitting: As others said there is a battery holder the size of your rechargeable battery pack. It has two holes to hold the batteries, and you then clip the whole holder into your controller similar to the rechargeable battery pack. 

If you don't want to buy a new play & charge kit, simply buy rechargeable AA batteries (for example Eneloop batteries are quite good) and use them in the regular battery holder in your controller. 

Did my post help you? Please click on "Yes" below or choose it as the answer to your problem. Thanks! (ᵔᴥᵔ)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 384 Applies to: