wireless bluetooth controlled keeps disconnecting from PC.

just as title says.

tried pretty much everything i could find online, nothing works.

yes, i updated the drivers.

yes, i tried disconnecting and reconnecting.

yes, i restarted my pc.

yes, i ran the "find problems with bluetooth devices" troubleshooter.

yes, the problem occurs in multiple games.

yes, my graphics card drivers are up to date.

i've tried most of the suggestions in this article besides disabling my graphics card (no thanks), and turning off my bluetooth receiver on my motherboard (don't think it has one). https://techisours.com/fix-xbox-one-controller-keeps-disconnecting-on-pc/

the controller works fine when connected via usb-c cable.

will keeping it connected and at 100% charge continuously affect the controller's battery? this so far is the only solution, which is disappointing since the controller cost around $90.

i initially had problems with the controller immediately, when i purchased it a couple of weeks ago.

the problem obviously still persists today.

it's a custom designed controller from your website.

the controller seems to disconnect once i start pressing buttons, then it will sometimes reconnect after leaving it alone for a couple minutes. then the problem repeats.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi garrettpeterson,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We're sorry to hear that you are trying to use your controller for gaming on PC and is unable to because of consistent disconnection. Let us check on this together so you will get back to gaming.

As per your description, you have tried to perform troubleshooting to fix this issue however it is still behaving the same way. We would like to ask few things to better isolate your issue:

1. Are you using Windows 10 or 11?

2. Is the controller previously working fine before any update?

3. May we ask for the link of the Xbox Controller you bought?

4. Have you tried using Xbox adapter to connect to your Xbox Controller?

5. Are you using any headset or microphone while gaming? Is your PC around things that could interfere the connection between your controller and PC?

Please, do not forget to check here for known issues that might be related to your concern.

Xbox Status

Known Issues for Game Launches

We look forward to your response.  Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Kathy A.

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community

A friendly reminder to always secure your Microsoft account by adding secondary email, mobile #, use authenticator app & generate recovery code - https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello garrettpeterson,

Hope you are doing fine.

We would like to follow up your concern.

Kindly let us know if you are still having issue by posting a reply.

Kind regards,

Kathy A.

A friendly reminder to always secure your Microsoft account by adding secondary email, mobile #, use authenticator app & generate recovery code - https://account.live.com/proofs/manage/additional

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

hi kathy, sorry for the late response.

i’m using windows 10.

the controller had the connectivity issue right away. i thought that after i rebooted my pc everything would run smoothly but that wasn’t the case.

i can’t get the exact link because it was a custom built controller but this is for the microsoft store where i designed it: https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com/en-US/customize?instanceid=p_900WZDF9XJVG

i was not aware there was an xbox adapter to connect xbox controllers to PC’s. i have downloaded the xbox apps to my pc to try to fix the issue, however.

i have a bluetooth headset and bluetooth speakers i use with my PC, but neither of them have ever had issues connecting in the past.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the update, garrettpeterson.

Please check the following steps to better isolate your issue.

1. To start, kindly try to check the battery of your controller or recheck if the controller is not turn off after disconnect. Replace batteries with new one and make sure it is inserted correctly. Please skip if you are using an Elite Series 2.

2. Temporarily unplug any external hard drive in your PC. Re-try to play a game and check if the issue persist.

3. Manually power cycle your controller. Press and hold the Xbox button for 5-10 seconds, until the controller powers off. Then press and hold the Xbox button again for the controller to turn back on.

4. Connect your controller to the console with a USB Cable. If your controller works when connected to your console with a USB cable, continue to the next step. If it doesn’t work when connected to your console with a USB cable, your controller needs to be replaced.

Note: The new Xbox Wireless Controller (included with Xbox Series X|S) and Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 use a USB-C cable for charging.

5. If your controller connects when using a USB cable but doesn't stay connected after removing the cable, reconnect the cable and see if there’s an update available for your controller:

1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.

2. Under Profile & system, select Settings.

3. Under Devices & connections, select Accessories.

4. On the Xbox Wireless Controller screen, select “…” to check the firmware version for your controller.

5. If it says there’s no update available, your controller is current. If it says “Update,” follow the steps provided.

6. Once your controller is updated, disconnect the USB cable and try connecting wirelessly again.

If you’re unable to update your controller, see the “I can’t update my controller section” of this page.

6. If you are still experiencing issues after performing all these steps, then try a few of the more advanced troubleshooting options in this video (available in English only): Video: Troubleshoot controller disconnects on Xbox One

We look forward for your response.

Kind regards,

Kathy A.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had that issue too. For me, the solution was getting closer to the PC. It has a bluetooth receiver and its signal strength varies on many factors. My controller kept dropping out, until i moved closer. Maybe give that a shot?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi garrettpeterson,

Hope you are doing fine.

We would like to follow up your concern.

Kindly let us know if you are still having issue by posting a reply. You may also try to get closer to your PC as you play as suggested by Matt010L, it works best for him.

Kind regards,

Kathy A.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

the controller disconnects repeatedly after being connected, and the battery does not turn off.

if nothing else works i will try to buy a new battery.

i keep my games on a separate external hard drive, so i'd rather not attempt to try this option, but i will if nothing else works.

manually power cycling the controller doesn't do anything.

my controller is up to date.

can i use the usb cable to play with the controller or will keeping the battery at 100% charge damage it?

it seems if i put my controller RIGHT next to the bluetooth receiver it works ok. only if its 6 inches or so away.

can my bluetooth headset cause interference even when its turned off?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

possibly. recently I've been experiencing frequent connection drops even with the official adapter, and updating the controller via console (as the PC app is missing the update option) appears to have fixed it temporarily until tonight when I started experiencing disconnects again. this is also with a fairly new Series controller which hasn't experienced any disconnects until the past few weeks

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for the updates you both have shared, it seems like there are few customers who are experiencing disconnection of Xbox Controller after updating to Windows 11. Please know that this is part of the known issue and we would appreciate if you will send out feedback to our Team Xbox.

Please use this guide for contacting Team Xbox - Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support.

Reference: What’s new: Xbox system updates | Xbox Support

Kind regards,

Kathy A.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I use Windows 10, and my primary concern is that I will require an Xbox in order to update my controller firmware for in case I have any issues in the future (i.e. reinstall drivers). As far as I know, some users have the option via accessories app available to them while others including myself don't.

I appreciate any updates on a potential fix.

Thank you,

Xicor66

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 26, 2024 Views 12,056 Applies to: