Will Xbox Series X Output Native 1440p?

Hi all,

I currently own a Samsung CHG70, which is a 1440p 144hz monitor. I have also pre-ordered the Xbox Series X. I know that the Series X will "support" 1440p, but I am curious on how it is supported. I would ideally like to run the console/gpu to output Native 1440p. I do not want to have the console run in 4K and super-sample/downscale to 1440p. Super-sampling may provide a clearer image than Native 1440p by outputting the image in 4K then "the average color" for each of the 1440p pixels, but I value frame rate for smooth motion more than a sharp/clear still image. If the console is outputting 4K and super-sampling/downscaling down to 1440p, then the GPU is still processing the 4K image, which will result in lower FPS. I also know that 4K can run games at UP TO 120hz on the Xbox Series X, so it "shouldn't" make a difference, but the key words there are "UP TO". 4K games will almost always run below 120 FPS, or will at least dip below 120 FPS in visually intensive games/scenes/levels. I would prefer to run in Native 1440p and have the FPS more consistently locked to 120 FPS.

1. How will Xbox Series X output display/video data when 1440p is selected in the Settings->Video Output section? (Multiple Choice :-) )

a. The Xbox Series X will output in Native 1440p, resulting in maximum FPS at 1440p.

b. The Xbox Series X will output in 4K and super-sample/downscale to 1440p, which will result in FPS consistent with Native 4K.

c. Some other option I'm unaware of? Please explain.

2. How will Xbox Series X output display/video data when 1080p is selected in the Settings->Video Output section? (Multiple Choice :-) )

a. The Xbox Series X will output in Native 1080p, resulting in maximum FPS at 1080p.

b. The Xbox Series X will output in 4K and super-sample/downscale to 1080p, which will result in FPS consistent with Native 4K.

c. Some other option I'm unaware of? Please explain.

Let me know if any of the above is unclear or if my technical understanding is incorrect.

Thank you,

Chop

Hi

1. The answer to this is C, but with some caveats. It's up to the developer on how they want their game to run. This may mean that some games will be 4K and be downscaled to 1440P. However, a couple of the games I've seen so far have a nice set of visual features built into their main menu's. These games were Dirt 5 and Yakuza Like a Dragon. Both of these games had the ability to prioritise performance over a 4K resolution.
  2. It's going to be C as per my previous answer. It's not like a PC gaming machine. Changing the resolution to 1080P doesn't mean games will render in 1080P. Not unless Microsoft change it to they way it can work on the PS4 Pro anyway.

Remember though the elephant in the room here, the Xbox Series S. Series S has less RAM and and a less capable GPU. Its games will not run in 4K. Which means more games with the same options like the ones seen in Yakuza and Dirt 5. It's not definite, but with more console users now buying monitors, it seems more likely than not. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

A couple of responses here:

1. In previous comment.
  2. In previous comment.
  3. So are you saying that the in-game video settings override what you have set as console video settings?
  4. What happens if Series **** output settings are set to 1440p and the in-game settings are set to 4K? Would the GPU render the image as 1440p (as set by the console), then upscale to 4K (as set in the game)? Or, would the game simply ignore the 1440p setting set on the console and the GPU would render the image in 4K?
  5. Similar example as #2, but going the other way: What happens if Series **** output settings are set to 4K and the in-game settings are set to 1440p? Would the GPU render the image as 4K (as set by the console), then super-sample down to 1440p (as set in the game)? Or, would the game simply ignore the 4K setting (as set on the console) and the GPU would render the image in 1440p?
  6. If the console relies on in-game resolution settings, then what is the point of the console video-output settings and when are they used?
    1. Would that only be used when developers do not offer an option to customize/override video output settings?
    2. Maybe for other apps (YouTube, Netflix, etc)?
  7. When you say "Its (Xbox Series S) games will not run in 4K", I think you mean that games will not run in "Native 4K", meaning the GPU will not render the images in 4K. I believe the Series S will support upscaling to 4K, similar to what you can do with the Xbox One S today. So, I do not think simply saying "games will not run in 4K" is entirely accurate given that nuance.
  8. On the topic of Series S, it is advertised as a 1080p/1440p console. Since Series S is advertised as a 1440p console, does that mean its GPU will render images in Native 1440p?
    • If that is the case, then I feel like it would make sense if the Series X could too, which I guess was the whole point of me asking my question.
    • My guess is that you are going to again say it depends on how it is developed and will also depend on the answers to #1-4.

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs here, but I am trying to be as specific and clear as possible to gain a full sense of understanding and make sure we don't mislead any other users that read through this thread. Please be specific in your response with explicit examples.

Thank you,

Brian

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The game will render at its own internally specified native resolution depending in the hardware its on. Games may or may not have end user selectable performance profiles. 

The game will be upscaled or downscaled to the output resolution soecified in the dashboard

If its not renderiing at 4K with 4K assets, its not 4K. I can make Pong in 32k at 10,000fps but its still two rectangles and a square that look little dofferent from 1080p or lower. 

What it renders at is extremely game specific. Xbox Series S will have no issue with 4K Pac-man, and several games do run at 4K on it. But AAA titles are targeting 1440p. Every game is different. If you want fine control buy a PC

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with SwordofWhedon.

1. -
  2. -
  3. Yes, they override.
  4. If you're on Series X and the game is designed for 4K, with no performance options then it will be 4K regardless of the console resolution settings and will be downscaled if you are you using a lower resolution display.
  5. Game will render in a lower resolution and be scaled up to 4K. Dirt 5 does this if you set the game to 120FPS. Such a high frame rate is pretty tough so the game simply won't be able to render in full 4K.
  6. It's so the console can be used on a large variety of TV's and Monitors, and provide full support to their native resolutions. The big one being 1440P (2560x1440) a PC resolution that many monitors use. You won't find a 1440P TV.
  7. Series S games won't 'Render in 4K' that's correct. But you'll still be able to select 4K as the console will upscale to this resolution. Also 4K can still be used on Video Apps. The Series S will support 4K Netflix for example.
  8. Perhaps, perhaps not. Depends on the demands of the game. The Series S has less RAM and a weaker GPU.  Series X can do 1440P and therefore better performance but only if a developer show chooses.

Please take a look at the Dirt 5 Preview from Digital Foundry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9A935XFkU

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 5,925 Applies to: