Why is Microsoft telling me my card info is wrong when it isn’t and how to I fix this/work around it?

I was trying to purchase Minecraft on my Mac book pro. I signed into my Microsoft account, just as Minecraft prompted me to do, but when I entered my credit card info, it told me “check the info you entered. It doesn’t match the info for this card.”  I am positive the info is correct and I even tried a different card but still received the same notice.  I tried from both safari and Google chrome, I made a brand new Microsoft account, and I tried a different lap top all together but I received the same message. I then tried to use pay pal and it told me to try again. I then went into my Microsoft account and tried to enter the card info there but received the same message, yet again. In doing some research, I have seen many others complain of this same issue but I have found no solution. I am getting frustrated and don’t know what else to try. 

Hello Ella,

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. If you've already tried other payment methods such as different cards or Paypal without success, the only thing I can suggest you is to contact Microsoft Support. Even though you've read that other users have similar problems, they might be able to help you resolve your specific issue.

I hope you can sort it out soon.

Best regards.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Ella!

Nice to meet you! I'm Darhyl, an Independent Advisor. I'm sorry you are experiencing this with your payment method. I am here to help.

In order to fix this you will need to contact your bank to update your billing information.

Once it's done, try to re-add your payment method on account.microsoft.com > Payment and Billing > Payment Option.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why do I need to update my billing information? Nothing has changed and the card works for other purchases.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response.

I totally understand where you are coming from but for us to purchase in the Microsoft store, your payment method information should be exactly matched and updated with your bank billing information.

Based on the error message and as part of the troubleshooting step, this is the best option to contact your bank and update the billing information.

Nothing to worry as I have also experienced that before and resolved it by updating my payment method billing information from my financial institution.

In case it didn't work, you will need to directly contact Microsoft Xbox Support for further assistance. You can reach out to them through this link:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2024 Views 3,944 Applies to: