why is it when i uninstall a game it still takes up storage?

why is it when i uninstall a game it still takes up storage? My laptop doesn't have much storage so its hard to do stuff when a game that i don't have installed takes up storage.

Hi and thanks for reaching out. I hope you’re doing well. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you and I'll be happy to help you.

When you uninstall a game, some of its files and data might still remain on your device, which can take up valuable storage space. This often happens because the game leaves behind temporary or cache files, system files, or configuration files that are necessary for the proper functioning of your device. These files can accumulate over time and contribute to storage issues.

To free up more storage space, you can try the following steps:
1. Remove the game's leftover files: Locate the game's folder in the "Program Files" directory and delete it. You can also search for the game's name in the file explorer to see if there are any other leftover files.
2. Clear your system cache: System cache files can take up a lot of space. To clear them, you can use a tool like CCleaner or a built-in system optimization tool on your device.
3. Uninstall other unnecessary apps and programs: Over time, you may have installed many apps and programs that you no longer need or use. Uninstalling these can free up valuable storage space.
4. Use disk cleanup: Windows has a built-in tool called "Disk Cleanup" that can help you free up storage space. It will scan your device and identify files and data that can be safely deleted to free up space.

By following these steps, you should be able to free up some storage space on your device and make more room for the things you need.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 6,587 Applies to: