Using a USB headset on Xbox One

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else out there.

I've managed to get my usb headset fully functional on my Xbox One. The method however, is not the most convenient.

Here is what you'll need. 

-Stereo Headset Adapter (for Xbox One)

-A PC that can stay nearby*

*Length depends on the cables you have or choose to buy (Explained in a moment)

-USB Headset that currently works on a PC

First. The cables you will need.

A male 4-pin 3.5mm to two 3.5mm female, and two 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cables. 

On Amazon you can currently type in "3.5mm headset adapter" and the first few results are what you should be looking for. Please keep in mind you are NOT looking for a 3.5mm splitter that only clones the audio signal. You will need one that separates the one 4-pin 3.5mm headset port into two 3-pin 3.5mm ports. One for a headset, and the other for the microphone.

For the other cables you can search for "3.5mm male to male" on your preferred search engine ,and you should see what you need. Here is where the length of your cable matters. The cables are going to be running from the controller to the pc. Judge the length of that, and you will know what length to get.

Second. How to set everything up once you have the proper cables.

Attach the Xbox One Headset Adapter to your controller then plug the 3.5mm to two female into the headset adapter, and then plug the 3.5mm male to male plugs in both the headphones and mic ports. 

Then run the two 3.5mm male jacks to the pc. Coming from the controller the one labeled with the symbol for headphones will go into the Line-In port (Use the Microphone port if you don't have a line in port) The one labeled with the Microphone symbol will be plugged into the Headphones jack of the pc.

Third. PC Setup and Testing.

Have both the PC and Xbox One on, and go to your desktop. On the bottom right you have the Volume control. Right Click on it and first go to Recording Devices.

You should see at least two items at this point. The Microphone for the pc currently in use, and the Line-In (Or the on board microphone if you used the Mic jack)

Select Line In (Or Microphone) and then select "Properties" There will be a tab on the new window that comes up named "Listen" Go to this tab. Check the "Listen to this device" box, and below that select your USB headset for the "Playback through this device". Then check the "Levels" tab. Make sure the Line in slider is not at 0 (This controls how loud the sound is thats coming from the controller) Next go to the "Advanced" tab and put it on Studio Quality. (I'm not entirely what this does, but it got rid of a lot of static noise that I was hearing) Then click Apply. Now you should be able to hear your Xbox from your pc. 

Next. to get the mic working for your Xbox as well. Again right click on the Volume at the bottom right of your desktop and go to Recording Devices. Select your USB Microphone that you currently use with the pc and select Properties. Back to the Listen Tab, and Check Listen to this Device. Put Playback through this device as your onboard Speakers. Then check the Levels Tab making sure it's not at 0. (This affects how loud your voice is being output from the mic) Click Apply.

So if all that is done right (If I even explained it all correctly) you should be able to hear sounds from your xbox while still on your pc. If you open up Party and make noise of some sort you can test your mic to see if it works as well.

Notes.

I did this on Windows 8.1. If it works on any other OS is knowledge I don't have.

I don't consider myself tech-savy. I just happen to figure this out one day, If there is an easier way to do this, then please let us know! I couldn't find any sort of help on the internet about this subject previously, 

Thanks all for the read, and reply back if you have any questions or anything!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Dude.

Duuuude.

Ddddduuuuuuuude.

I cannot believe I never thought of this. I had been streaming my Xbox to the PC via the companion app, just to use my favorite USB headset. This is a heck of a lot more convenient. Just have to sit my laptop nearby the console, and it takes about 30 seconds to set up, Works damn-near perfectly.

Take *all* of my upvotes.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

How long did it take you to figure this out?

Seems like a pain. Hopefully you find a more convenient way in the future.

Good post tho, hopefully it helps some people.

No gods or kings, only men.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please don't bump old posts. Although this might be helpful for new people, this post is from 2015. A new thread should be created here.
Necromancers aren't as bad as they're made out to be. They're just really late healers.
GT: Ellarianora
Answers in English/한국어/中文

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I didn't look at the date. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello fellow gamers, 

As this is an old discussion, I will be locking this one. Updates, games and everything changes often so would be best to create a new thread. Once a new thread is created we will be happy to assist you in any issues or questions you might have. 

Thanks, 
Brad 

Stay safe have fun. GAME HARD just not too hard :) ಠ益ಠ

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 19, 2021 Views 7,821 Applies to: