The potential gold mine that is Survival Horror

When we think of genres we think of Shooters, Racing, Arcade and so on, but there are other genres that haven't really found any footing yet on XBOX.

I think the Survival Horror genre is a good example.

Yes, we have Dayz & HUNT, but I want to cover a game that is unique from those despite it being in the same genre.

I'm talking about 7 Days To Die.

A Creative "Build Yourself" Horror Survival, taking a familiar feature of mining and building and throwing it into the world of zombie survival.

This idea was so good and had me playing hours upon hours despite it struggling to average 30fps and was riddled with bugs. I wasn't the only one either, a loyal fanbase was quickly created ready and willing to support the devs through thick and thin to get this game off the ground.

Unfortunately, this game didn't receive as many updates as it's PC counterpart.

The frustrating thing is, that this genre could do very well, in fact, I'm willing to bet extremely well.

I am honestly surprised we are not seeing more of this type of game, had 7DTD been more refined it could have easily brought in enough money to fund itself in further development.

It really does surprise me how other studios arent trying to get their foot into this genre paving the way for a new type of game.

What are your thoughts? Has the demise of 7DTD on Xbox scared off other studios trying the same idea?

Personally I believe the game itself was using the wrong engine, had it been more refined and less unstable there's no reason why it couldn't have drawn in more and more fans over time.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Was personally a huge fan of 7 days! Was gutted when telltale went belly up and the fun pimps were left in limbo with regards to updating the console version. The later updates on pc look great and they really seem to have made the improvements the game needed so would love to see it revived and for those changes to be implemented on xbox. I would even happily pay again for a 7 days to die 2 or whatever the wanted to name it if it meant seeing it back to updating on console. Definitely a type of game i would love to see more of :)

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I have never played any of the games that you've mentioned, but after watching a few videos, I find that they are amazing. As far as my survival gameplay goes (other than Minecraft), I can see fortnite save the world mode to be in this genre. 

In fortnite save the world mode, you have to manage resources, assets, survivors, and bases. From time to time these bases will need refortified, rebuilt, and expanded in order to accommodate the survivors in that you will be finding.

Michael J. Gill

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Think you might be on to something here.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It was a decent game tbh

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would even happily pay again for a 7 days to die 2 or whatever the wanted to name it if it meant seeing it back to updating on console.

Totally agree & Upvoted, the game would do so well, even on Mixer, a great game to play and a great game to watch. 

It has so much potential, and I can't see why it couldn't go the same route as Minecraft in regards to In-Game Purchases.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I hope not, good survival horrors can be fun especially in multiplayer
Let's build a fun inclusive gaming community. Join me for a game! Twitter / Instagram / Discord / Xbox GT: julosjc

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi OakGill, thanks for responding to my post! Upvoted.

I remember buying Fortnite when it was still in-game preview and obviously back then no one knew how big it was going to be, there was no BR mode just looting and building, however, this was much less of a Survival Horror game and more of a loot and shoot (if that's even a genre!) 

The building mechanic wasn't as in-depth as the one used in 7DTD, nor was the survival for that matter.

Although with the success, they continue to have, they could easily create an update that focuses more on these mechanics.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't like Horror games, but i do like survival games. I would like to see more new hardcore survival games like DayZ and Escape From Tarkov

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Totally agree with you but personally i have yet to encounter such a survival horror!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've never been a huge horror game fan,  but I do love the old Resident Evil games. If there could be more survival horror games like the original RE or RE2 (or the remake!) I'd be on board.

I don't think the demise of 7DTD scared off other developers, I just think survival horror as a genre may not do as well overall compared to other genres like RPG, FPS, etc. so a lot of studios will focus on more popular genres that will sell. Just my thoughts.

XBL - pjameleven

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 18, 2021 Views 193 Applies to: