'Switch TV input using controller' HDMI-CEC option turns TV on during Remote Play

I've reported this already via the 'Report a problem' feature in my Xbox, but here goes again.

Repro steps:

1. Enable the aforementioned HDMI-CEC feature. Restart the Xbox when prompted

2. Ensure the Xbox controller is connected to the PC via Bluetooth and not to the Xbox. At this point it should appear as connected on the PC, and button inputs (except pressing the Xbox button; more on that later) shouldn't turn the Xbox or TV on

3. Connect to the Xbox via remote play. Button inputs (except pressing the Xbox button; more on that later) shouldn't turn the TV on

4. Press, or press and hold the Xbox button

As a result, the TV turns on, and the Xbox stays on even if you end the Remote Play session. If the TV was already on (eg. someone else was watching something), the input is switched to the Xbox.

This is incredibly disrupting if there's someone using the TV as they get interrupted, defeating the whole purpose of remote play. However, it's even worse when users are traveling: in my experiment, the Xbox stays on even if the remote session ends, which causes the TV to stay on INDEFINITELY, definitely increasing power consumption and reducing the lifespan of both devices unnecessarily, and possibly causing burn-in. This is further worsened by the fact that traveling users won't be able to see that the TV is on until they're back, at which point the damage (Xbox and TV running for several days!) is done

A couple of workarounds:

1. Disable 'Switch TV input using controller' on the HDMI-CEC settings

2. Disconnect the HDMI cable when you're traveling (seriously?)

3. If you have the 'Console turns off other devices' HDMI-CEC feature enabled, end your remote play sessions by press-and-holding the Xbox button, and selecting 'Turn off console' instead of 'Stop streaming'. This will cause the Xbox to turn off, however in my case the TV stays on. Fortunately my TV has a feature where it turns itself off after 10min of no signal on the current HDMI input, but others may not be as lucky

Question: can someone at Microsoft acknowledge this as a bug, and inform us of next steps you're planning to take to fix it?

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today Gres147679

That's how HDMI-CEC works on devices compatible with this protocol buddy, the best option is simply disable it if you're going to remote play on the console or when you know you're going to stay far from home

Greetings from another Microsoft user!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply Josef.

Although you’re right in that this is how CEC works, it’s certainly not what Remote Play users would expect. I think it’d be perfectly reasonable, and technically possible, for the Xbox to not send that CEC command if the user is connected via a Remote Play session. I don’t think we should be expecting users to know they need to be overriding this when traveling.

Can we get someone from the Xbox tech team to comment?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That could be a good idea, you can try submitting it via Xbox Insider subreddit, due to this community forum is intended more to troubleshooting and help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/wiki/idea...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried creating a post but it got locked because this issue isn't related to the Xbox Insiders program. https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/vsk0fl/switch_tv_input_using_controller_hdmicec_option/

I've also submitted a comment on the weekly Xbox Requests post, if you're seeing this and are affected go upvote https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxinsiders/comments/vp3qjv/comment/if4lkwg/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Is there a more direct way to get support from the Xbox team? I tried support.xbox.com but it only points to this forum, the 'Request a call' option has been greyed out for several days

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2023 Views 1,309 Applies to: