Steering Wheel Button Mapping Support

I purchased a steering wheel that is compatible with Xbox one and has additional buttons and directional pads that are useful to assign to functions such as boost, pit lane speed limit, look behind left right, and make adjustments to car braking and engine settings while driving.

Unfortunately from what I read the wheel is limited to only mapping as many buttons and axes as a standard Xbox controller. Some buttons either don't map or are detected as additional trigger buttons. So after mapping pedals and wheel you are left with only a few more buttons you can map.

Is it possible for Xbox developers to allow additional buttons to be mapped for wheels that have more than a standard controller? This would really improve the experience of racing games with wheels and with upcoming Xbox project x would make the console an option for sim racers instead of then choosing to go to PC. Other consoles have improved button mapping for wheels I would hope that xbox can do that too especially since it is Windows based and on PC all wheel buttons are mappable to game functions.

Thank you!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

This function does already exist.  If you look in the Xbox Accessories app for mapping a controller, there are options to enable a "Shift" function and assign it to a button to allow multiple combinations of buttons to trigger different actions. 

As far as specific in game assignment, that would have to be implemented by the developer.  Have you attempted to use the Xbox Accessories app to assign buttons, and then map them in game?

Come join us at Xbox Playdates US every Tuesday and Saturday. https://xboxplaydates.us/twitch

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Hi thanks for the response. I tried the accessories app but it does not detect my Wheel when it loads it's just blank.

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What wheel is it?  The manufacturer might have their own software to map the buttons?

I just reviewed the Xbox Accessories app and realize that it only does official controllers or via the Xbox Adaptive Controller for the app to do what it does.  Because of that, I would recommend you take a look at if there is any software from the manufacturer that you can use to map and configure, and possibly update on the firmware to do what you want it to do?

Come join us at Xbox Playdates US every Tuesday and Saturday. https://xboxplaydates.us/twitch

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's a Fanatec Formula V2 wheel. I previously had a Logitech G920 which also had a couple of buttons that wouldn't map on Xbox. There is no Xbox app for these wheels, they have software on pc to update the firmware which I did. I did some searching and reading on this issue and it appears to be a limitation on Xbox that allows only as many buttons as a standard xbox controller does to be used on wheels or other input devices. Given that these buttons are mappable on PC there should be a way to enable them on Xbox as additional buttons.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What wheel is it?  The manufacturer might have their own software to map the buttons?

I just reviewed the Xbox Accessories app and realize that it only does official controllers or via the Xbox Adaptive Controller for the app to do what it does.  Because of that, I would recommend you take a look at if there is any software from the manufacturer that you can use to map and configure, and possibly update on the firmware to do what you want it to do?

Can we approach this from the other side? Can you identify any wheel or any software which will map steering wheel buttons beyond those found on an XBOX controller?

I've also been frustrated by the fact that I can't access any additional functionality from the extra buttons on my Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia, and I've read the same thing about Logitech wheels. So if users from all three main sim wheel manufacturers are struggling with this, rather than compiling a list of all of the wheels we own where we haven't found a way to do it, can you provide some direction for how we can?

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, none of my wheel I have cant be remapped on Xbox one. But PS4 has no issues.

What I don't understand I can remap on PC via Windows 10 but can't on Xbox. Very frustrating. I and strongly considering for the first time ever to switch from Xbox to PS5 when it comes out.

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm guessing since there has been no update to this since the end of July there is still no way forward with this? I've owned Xbox's since the first one and been a fan of sim racing for long before that but this is a major limitation and is really making me consider switching to PlayStation for the next generation consoles. I appreciate that Thrustmaster have announced that their existing products will be compatible with the new Xbox as I own the TX base. I'm considering upgrading to the F1 wheel but there is absolutely no point if I'm stuck with the same number of button assignments. 

I get the Xbox one is now essentially going to be sidelined and therefore an update to fix this self-imposed limitation is unlikely however I'd really like an answer regarding the Series X and how 3rd party controllers will behave as it will directly affect my future purchasing decision. Frankly, the ongoing silence indicates this situation will continue, and Microsoft don't want to admit to it before suckers customers have paid their money.

56 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 12, 2024 Views 16,711 Applies to: