Starfield saves

I bought Starfield from the Microsoft store and loaded it from the Xbox app for PC.

I ran in to an issue with Starfield saves where 2 days (about 10 hours) of played saves were lost. I'm not sure how they were lost. Playing on Sunday I got an error message stating that "unable to save" . I quit and went to bed then when I loaded the game on Monday all my progress from early Friday evening through Sunday was gone....all auto saves and quick saves were missing too along with a couple manual saves. I do not play on Xbox and this is the only game I have played on the Xbox app and probably the last due to these issues.

So I started looking to where the game is placing my saves and could not find local copies anywhere. I checked under my games/starfield, in local and roaming appdata folders. I ran a complete search on my system and didnt find them. I also checked onedrive...nada. So it doesnt appear that the game is saving any of my progress to my local PC. Is there a way to change it to save locally instead of on the cloud or to at least save in both places? I dont have an xbox so I only play on PC.

thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Tylon001

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Upon reading the description you have posted, it seems that you have an issue with Xbox wherein you want to know if you can save your game progress to your local PC storage and unto the cloud. As you were unable to locate your game save files when you try to search it on your end.

We understand, that you are quite at loss right now. As you were unable to locate the game save progress of your Starfield game. That is why we will do our best to provide you with the best possible options that you can try.

By the way, here are the steps we would like you to try:

If you want to save your game progress in Starfield from both local storage and cloud, you need to know where to find the game save files and how to back them up. Depending on whether you are playing Starfield on Steam or Xbox Game Pass, the game save file location may vary. Here are the possible locations for each platform:

• Steam: C:\Users_your_username_here_\Documents\My Games\Starfield\Saves1

• Xbox Game Pass: C:\Users_your_username_here_\AppData\Local\Packages\BethesdaSoftworks.ProjectGold_3275kfvn8vcwc\SystemAppData\wgs_string_of_numbers2

To back up your game save files from local storage, you can follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer and go to the game save file location of your choice.

• Copy the entire Starfield folder or the specific save files you want to back up and paste them into another folder somewhere else. You can also rename the folder or the files to indicate the date or the mission of your progress.

To restore your game save files, simply copy the backup files and paste them back into the original game save file location.

To back up your game save files from cloud, you need to have cloud saves enabled on your platform. Steam and Xbox Game Pass will automatically sync your game progress to their online cloud servers. You can also find a local copy of your cloud saves in these locations:

• Steam: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\click on your user number (different for everyone)\1716740 > remote > Saves

• Xbox Game Pass: C:\Users_your_username_here_\AppData\Local\Packages\BethesdaSoftworks.ProjectGold_3275kfvn8vcwc\SystemAppData\wgs_string_of_numbers

To restore your game save files from cloud, you need to have cloud saves enabled on your platform. Steam and Xbox Game Pass will automatically download your game progress from their online cloud servers. You can also copy the local copy of your cloud saves and paste them into the original game save file location.

Let me know if this helps,

Sincerely

Khou Sun

Microsoft Community Moderator

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'll consider this a lesson learned.....if you strictly playing on PC stay away from buying games off the Microsoft Store.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So FYI

I tried playing again today. After 3 -4 hours I checked my saved game list inside the game. It only shows 3 available. I had nearly 20 listed before I started playing today and I've manually saved a couple times. There should be a dozen auto saves as well as quick saves in addition to my manual saves.

I checked the folder C:\Users\mikeh\AppData\Local\Packages\BethesdaSoftworks.ProjectGold_3275kfvn8vcwc\SystemAppData\wgs\00090000032D351A_0000000000000000000000007BF72399

When I checked earlier today there were folders in that directory going back to when I started playing pre release now those folders are all gone.

There are 517 folders listed in that directory with no semblance of a coherent naming system. Nothing I've ever seen before for a saved game name. 99 percent of the folders are empty as well and they only go back to 9/5. I started playing on 8/30 so all those folders since before 9/5 are gone.....poof! Do not pass go...go directly to ghost delete.

Something is seriously wrong with how the xbox client is handling these saved games. Unless this is resolved I'll never buy another game off the microsoft store and will make sure all my gaming friends know to stay away.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

Thanks for providing us with some updates on your current concern. Although we apologize for the reply as we are also stuck on answering other complex threads like yours.

That is why it took time for us to get back to you. For now, we would really appreciate if you can provided us with a screenshot of the few game saved files on your end.

In order for us to further investigate about this matter.

Sincerely

Khou Sun

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I gave up trying to fix it and requested an refund which was denied. I uninstalled the game and gave up.

Bethesda support was gracious enough to provide me with a key to play on steam. I lost all progress and had to start over but that's better than worry about the random progress deletes happening on the Xbox client.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

We appreciate you for providing us with some additional updates on your current concern.

And we are glad that you were able to get a workaround on your current problem.

Please do not hesitate to ask the community anytime just in case you have any questions in the future. 

Sincerely

Khou Sun

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I came across this thread and I will post a screenshot of me having the same problem and what I see.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to follow that advice, there are literally hundreds of files the meet that description, and you have to make all files visible before you can even find it.

I am trying to totally remove the onedrive app and its effects on my game, im convinced it is corrupting my save files i deleted the app, and played for an hour or two, then the error , doing kamikazi run to my desktop, {CTD}I want to be able to play the game locally, not on the web. I constantly CTD when i try and land on a planet, and even with deleting onedrive from my pc, it is still synching . Geez , this game has hard coded its way to extinction .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

now heres a better question, how do i make it so the save file limit has no limit and doesnt sync to the cloud? or do we just have to wait for a script that kills the cloud connection by force and only relies on our hard drive? that or is there a hidden setting to make the game only save on our hard drive and will eliminate the save file size cause i should never run into save file limit reached unable to save game with 17 plus terabits of storage available, which means the cloud stuff that we cant turn off is forcing a limit on this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So I am having serious problems getting the xbox pc app to work on my computer. I do not help with that I have tried many things and frankly I am done. So if I read this right if I buy Starfield on Steam; those saves will upload in the cloud and I can play that steam save from my xbox console if I want to? Thanks in advance for the answer to this question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 3,624 Applies to: