So I have to pay Xresolver to use my Xbox now?

Kind of ridiculous that Xbox has such a massive security issue to share my WAN IP and my personal location with anybody I play games with. Even more so that Xresolver is allowed to maintain a database with this information for anyone to look up on any gamertag. The only way I can safely enjoy a video game, is if I pay to have my tag blacklisted from a third party site? So owning an Xbox is inviting people to attack my home modem and nobody cares cause that's just how it is?

Where is all the discussion about such a huge security flaw? What's being done about people making money off the Xbox's proclivity to share IPs with total strangers on the internet?
|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

call your isp to change your ip address, problem solved, then don't go into parties with strangers, unfortunately it is really easy to get an ip address from anywhere and unfortunately it is a public address and therefore legal to get, don't pay xresolver a penny as when you change your ip your good to go.

IP addresses only show a general location like country/city not an actual address.

106 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

These sites are not quite as 'clever' as they make out to be. And no, you don't need to pay anyone.

They don't hold every single IP address for everyone's Gamertag. Even if a site claims to have 800,000 IP's, there are millions of Xbox Live users.

While its easy to see IP addresses for users on any gaming platform, associating them with individual user accounts is a totally different thing. To get your ip and link it with your actual account they need to get you to join a party or a private one on one session.

Don't join parties or gaming sessions with people you don't know. If you're in a game lobby, there is no way the net snoopers can no which IP is linked to an individual Gamertag. But if you're in a private party it's much easier to find your IP.

If you suspect someone know's your IP address, call your ISP and they can change it for you.

And as Farscape has already explained, your IP address will only tell someone what country, city state/province, it's not possible to get an exact home address.

26 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Comcast / Xfinity won't manually change your IP for you. I just went through this with them. They tell you it will change on it's own after "some time. Could be days, weeks, or months."

Bottom line, Xbox security is a joke. If your answer to people booting me from team-based games is "don't play with a team" then what is the point of playing games on this platform at all? Why do you have LFG functions if playing with strangers is dangerous? Why am I being blamed for using functions provided by the console?

96 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

it happens on all platforms not just this one.  if you shut off your router for 20 minutes and then switch back on it should change the ip, comcast sound like they are just shirking the responsibilty.

29 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only way you could block your IP would be via VPN, but doing so on a console isn't as straight forward as it is on a PC.

Nothing wrong with Xbox security, these denial of service attacks are conducted outside of Xbox Live and I said, the only way to mask your IP would be via a VPN. Otherwise your IP is visible to others, there is no other way to prevent that, it's how the internet works.

I agree with Farscape in that Comcast are shirking responsibility. 

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

For an Xbox Ambassador you certainly aren't the brightest. For modems (Routers) you can either have a Dynamic/Static router. A static router, (while it can change through calling your isp) provides the same IP no matter how many times it turns off. A dynamic however does, a dynamic will change if you turn your internet off. Many of these comment replies and discussions are from adults with children that do not want personal information exposed so publicly. I understand that the FBI has tried to put a stop but your security has seriously gotten to the point where you can't control it, and none the less its embarrassing. And I mind you, this is RANSOM and its illegal. If this doesn't get solved many of your players are gonna leave, the parents spend 15$ at least a month for the xbox live subscription. They shouldn't have to pay another 15 for this ridiculous security mess up in the first place. Please fix this now, I do not wanna pay to play when I meet the requirements, fix your security and get it together.

55 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same exact issue and Comcast won’t do anything about it I’ve turned off my modem for hours at and nothing changes I’ve emailed the website have reported the Xbox I’ve posted on the forums and reddit. It’s crazy that Xbox Comcast all these people are just allowing it, security that’s a joke dynamic IP that’s a joke all these people passing blame to one service to another even more of a joke how about some solutions instead of me having to pay a ransom.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same exact issue and Comcast won’t do anything about it I’ve turned off my modem for hours at and nothing changes I’ve emailed the website have reported the Xbox I’ve posted on the forums and reddit. It’s crazy that Xbox Comcast all these people are just allowing it, security that’s a joke dynamic IP that’s a joke all these people passing blame to one service to another even more of a joke how about some solutions instead of me having to pay a ransom.

Then STOP JOINING RANDOMS

you dont seem to understand the issue

You dont need to pay randsom you are giving into fear

FirstI iP addresses are publically available to everyone thats how you connect to the internet

A vpn doesnt do much it only gives you a private server which then shows up to others you still have an ip address 

If they attack that ip address you still are knocked off the server  just not off the net

This is internet one o one

As farscape mentioned

If you h are scared about people dont join randoms

Anyone can see your ip address just by connecting with you and checking their router

and yes its that easy

You really want rewrite the internet go ahead good luck witht that one

Thata how the internet works

You MUST have an ip to connect to the internet and it must be publically available to be seen

Whenever you are behind a server which provides you with a masked ip your server has its own ip which people can then see

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 11, 2021 Views 13,353 Applies to: