Refund on Digital Games

I was wondering if anyone could clarify the Microsoft Terms of Sale for me in regards to getting a refund on a digital purchase of a game.

I have contacted support to make a request but have gotten generic responses twice now saying that I am not eligible for a refund. I have read the terms and it does say that digital games are not eligible for refund at all. But if so, why is there an option to apply for a refund on a digital version. 

I would also like to know if the people in the support centre are aware of the laws in the EU regarding the sale of goods online with regards to refunds

"The European Union (Consumer Information and Cancellation and other rights) Regulations 2013”

and to Irish consumer law regarding products being fit for purpose (“sale of goods act 1893 – Section 14” and “sale of goods and supply of services act 1980”), i.e, a game purchased to play online should have a continuous and steady connection to the servers provided. (I checked all of my own settings and connections).

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2019 Views 177 Applies to:
I guess you should try on xbox.com/refund  and see if you'll get refunded.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thats the route I went through originally.

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft does provide a method for a refund, at the site linked below, but that process may not be available in all regions. One of the reasons for that is the differences in legal protections from country to country.

In what has been proposed to the Xbox Insiders, refunds CAN be granted for Xbox One titles bought in the last 14 days and played for no more than two (2) hours (pretty much the same policy the Steam Store offers). According to research, the game has to have been played at least once, even if just a few minutes. However, Microsoft does reserve the right to refuse refunds if they believe the policy is being abused.

Certain content, even under these rules, still cannot be refunded. Notably, Xbox 360 content and consumable DLC (things like premium in-game currency, such as Fortnite's infamous V-Bucks). What type content are you trying to refund?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Randy,

I purchased Battlefield V on December 23rd, I was able to get a couple of online matches played when I got disconnected from the servers after suffering a fair amount of latency issues in the last match.

I didn't play then on Christmas or Boxing day and when I tried to get on again on the 28th I was left in the game lobby for intervals of 5 minutes before the attempts failed.

I checked all of the settings on my xbox and mode, rang my internet provider to check my connection and still could not connect. I then decided to purchase Call of Duty Black Ops 4 since the multiplayer for Battlefield was unplayable, and have not had any connection issues with this game

That evening I then requested a refund for Battlefield and recieved a replay a couple of days later saying I was not eligible for a refund under the terms of sale.

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you contacted Electronic Arts to find out what may have been going on? Again, like many product purchases, it's usually better to work with the content maker (if you're buying a washing machine and it malfunctions, you talk primarily with the company that made the washing machine).

Sorry this didn't help.

In all honesty I haven't, it was the Christmas period so I wasn't expecting much in the way of communication from anyone.

But if I have a problem with a product I purchased I wouldn't go to the manufacturer I would go the seller and arrange for a refund, replacement or credit for a faulty product. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is the FAQ explaining all digital purchase terms and conditions 

https://support.xbox.com/games/purchasing/buying-digital-game-faq

Sorry this didn't help.

This brings me back to the original refund application and doesn't answer the question as to why I was not eligible for a refund.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi NeoParagon,

Thanks for replying and keeping us updated. I'm sorry to hear that your initial request for a refund was denied. After you submitted the request, you received confirmation and follow-up emails that included instructions on how to keep track of the status of your request. If you have questions about the process or have not heard anything within 48 hours please reply to the confirmation email sent to you. The same can be said if you have questions about the decision that was made.

You also have the option to resubmit the request as well. Click here to complete a Refund Request Webform.

I hope this helps out.

Regards,
XBF Amber M
Microsoft Agent | Moderator
(๑•ᴗ•๑)♡
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I had a similar situation with a game I purchased on the xbox store a couple years ago. It just wouldn't work for me. I applied for a refund and was denied, so I called xbox and spoke with support. They walked me through a bunch of settings and such, but I still had issues. 

Support transferred me to another CSR who reviewed supports notes, and asked me a few more questions. The CSR did give me a refund on the game after verifying a few things.

I would give support a call and see if they can help resolve the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.