My Xbox Series X keeps giving an overheating message, but it isn't even warm and was only powered on for a few minutes. Any idea what could be causing it?

I bought an Xbox Series X in winter 2020 and mostly play Warzone on it. Within the past few months it has begun to randomly crash during the middle of gameplay (always Warzone), and when I turn it back on, it gives me a message saying the console was automatically shut off to prevent damage from over-heating.

But it doesn't make sense to me... For example it just happened again a few moments ago, and I had only been playing for about 5mins total. My Xbox was completely cool to the touch, the fan didn't seem to be spinning, and it wasn't showing any signs of running hot.

Does anyone know if it's possible the Warzone game itself could be crashing, and then "tricking" the Xbox into thinking it overheated? Almost like the game itself is crashing my console, and the console just gives me the "overheating" message when I turn it on because that's what it defaults to? Or does it not work that way?

If anyone has input, advice or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

I should mention that it's in a completely open area on top of my desk and there's no visible dust so I don't think it's a ventilation problem.

I would say you should make sure the fan is turning

And the heat of internal components without proper cooling can reach high levels without the heat having time to reach the exterior

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've got the same issue! I've had my series x for a while and it worked fine. Now it shuts down saying it overheated while the heat coming from above aint hotter than normal. I haven't changed anything that could disrupt the airflow so I really don't know what this is. Dust ain't it either I clean it regularly.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've got the same issue! I've had my series x for a while and it worked fine. Now it shuts down saying it overheated while the heat coming from above aint hotter than normal. I haven't changed anything that could disrupt the airflow so I really don't know what this is. Dust ain't it either I clean it regularly.

I'm in the same boat as you, Thunder. It's only happening when playing Warzone, and it has no dust issues. I can tell it's going to crash soon though because it starts skipping frames and my party chat starts getting a little glitchy... then, boom, it shuts down, typically when it's about to be the final circle in Warzone smh haha

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I’m having the same problem. Got my series x on release date. I don’t play cod but I do play pubg and it only happens on pubg. Fan is working fine.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I’m having the same problem my Xbox series x is literally right next to a open window yet it’s sayin that and it just started 2 hours ago and has never said it before I have no idea what to do

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Im having the same issue.... has anyone figured it out? Please let me know

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It never fixed itself so I ended up buying a 3rd party fan on Amazon. It hasn’t had the issue since then. If my series X was still under warranty I would have gotten it fixed through Microsoft.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 11,081 Applies to: