My Xbox 360 won't let me play supported Original Xbox games! (FIXING IN PORGRESS)

*UPDATES BELOW*

So I recently bought physical copies of Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man for the OG Xbox so I could finally play a few noteworthy classics on my Xbox 360. I did what you would usually do to get an Original Xbox game to work on an Xbox 360. I got an official HDD extension (250 GB), made sure that the discs were clean, and made sure that my console was up to date. Yet, neither game seems to work. It displays the message that "The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again."

I've used the verified guide here as a starting point. I've reset the console, I've deleted and re-downloaded system updates, I've gone as far as copying the latest update data onto my additional flash drive and putting it in my Xbox 360. Nothing seems to work.

I fact-checked that Original Xbox games do in fact work on the Classic version of the Xbox 360. I double-checked that I have all of the requirements. My guess is that my console refuses to download or use the emulation program that would normally allow Original Xbox games to work on Xbox 360. My question is "How would I get my system to use the emulation program?" I spent my hard-earned money on these games (I'm not at a point where I can just make that money back easily), and I reeeeaaaly want to play them! Please help me any way you can, I'd really appreciate it!

P.S., There's no option to see game information nor the ability to download it to the Hard Drive like most Xbox 360 games. They aren't visible on the Microsoft Store, and I'm not sure if it's restricted because of age restrictions on a child's account (Their normal settings allow for games rated T, so I doubt that's why)? Besides all of that, have a good day!

*UPDATE 1*: So[mod removed] Thanks for helping me out, guys!

*UPDATE 2*: I wanted to give a huge shout-out to user LeoAmes17 for helping me so much! I think I'll finally be able to play these classics for the first time! I'm going to buy the stuff I need. For now, I'm going to keep this thread up for those who have a similar question or for those who need similar answers. Have a great day y'all, and thanks for helping me out!

Hello, My name is Jesse. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

Kindly see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEg-od8lehc

Hope it helps

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

My hunch is that your HDD isn't as official as you think it is. 3rd parties commonly would gut say the official 20 GB HDD and install a larger aftermarket HDD and sell it claiming that it's official.

The problem is that when they prepare the HDD, the partition that downloaded emulation profiles reside in was almost always left out, breaking original Xbox backwards compatibility. Easy enough to rectify (Or rule out as an issue) if you happen to have the official Xbox transfer cable that came with larger hard drives and a PC.

Almost always when someone at the forums I've visited through the years has complained about the same problem, ultimately they discover the partition was missing.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do believe that it's not working because it's missing the portion of the emulation. But another thing is that it apparently has Microsoft's blessing? It says on the storage menu that it indeed is a Microsoft HDD, and it came complete with the 250 GB I was promised.

Thanks for the help! If you find the time in your day, could you plop the download files or send me a link to see how I can install the emulation program, please? Thanks again, and have a great day!

Oh, and, by chance, could I download the files onto a smaller flash drive (~25 GB) and then move those files onto my HDD through the storage settings?? (I don't know how expensive Transfer cables are and I don't know if I have the spare cash to buy one...)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for showing me this video! Although it didn't really help me, any advice is appreciated!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately I have no idea about the emulation video

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's ok, I know you were trying your best to help me! Have a great day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

same on mine will not connect to xbox live

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Yoooooooo your post has everything I need! Thank you so much! I think for now I'll get the cable and do that fun stuff. Thank you so much!! Have an amazing day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 969 Applies to: